starburst

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I am looking for software to use to transfer my files to my new ssd from my hdd. I do not have an idea of which ones are the best, i could not find many answers online, so that is why i am posting here. I was thinking of using windows system image. Is that good for my purpose? or would third party software be a better choice? If so what ones are the best?

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

You want to transfer your file or your partition to ssd? If you just want to transfer some specified files to SSD, the migrate tool from Paragon is a good choice, but if you want to transfer some partition or migrate system partition to SSD, I suggest you'd better fresh install it on SSD, if you do not want to do that, Partition Assistant Home Edtition could help you migrate the target partition to SSD (During the operation, the partition will be aligned automatic)

In order to play the high performance of your SSD, you'd better change the storage mode from "ide"to "AHCI" in bois before install new system on SSD. If you just want to migrate system to ssd, you need to modify the "regedit" before change the storage mode.

1)Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

2) Navigate to the location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

4) Restart computer go into the BIOS-> configuration->change the disk mode to "AHCI" (IDE is set as default commonly ) . Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and does one more reboot to start up with them.

5) Install the latest driver of your motherboard.

kyoco

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hi, you can use the Migrate OS to SSD or HDD function of AOMEI Partition Assistant (free) to transfer your OS to your new ssd directly. There is another system mirgration software names Paragon, you can also try it, but it is not free. :)