Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Abit AI7 & 1 TB HDD

Last response: in Motherboards
February 15, 2011 7:07:27 PM

Hello,
My computer: ABIT AI7 MOBO, Win2000 SP4 OS, Two PATA IDE drives.
I tried installing a 1TB SATA drive (Hitachi) for the first time.
Because I already have PATA drives connecte,I first enabled the "enhanced mode" in BIOS.
The bios recognized the SATA drive (as IDE3 master). It autodetected the drive and showed correct size. But the drive doesn't show up in win2000 file management. Only in the disk management menu, the drive shows up as unallocated with a size of 128GB (whereas the drive ought to be 1TB). I can't even partition the drive because partition option is disabled for this drive in the disk management section.
Please let me know your thoughts on how I can make this drive work with this mobo and os. Thanks in advance.

Jay

More about : abit ai7 hdd

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2011 7:49:57 PM

Easy part first. It didn't show up in Win2000 file management because there is no formatted partition. This is fine for now. If you want to have some pointless fun, format the 128 GB partition you see in File Manager and then see the drive.

But you have a more important issue, that "partition option is disabled for this drive in the disk management section." I have a couple of suggestions.

NOTE: there is no data on that disk that you need, right? It's empty, new, unused, and all those things? Otherwise we have to get more careful!

1) Hit it with a hammer. Very satisfying, eliminates the need for any further work.

2) Failing that, can you post a description or picture (you have to serve the picture somewhere else, like photobucket, and post a link) of what the Disk Manager shows for this drive? And any message about why you can't partition it? I'm hoping you've got another 800GB of usable space there somewhere.

3) Download one of the many excellent hobbyist partitioning tools and try partitioning the disk with that. EASEUS gives away the basic version of their partition manager in the hope that you will buy the full version. There are many other worthy candidates out there; I just don't have any in my tool box at the moment. Repartition with that, format with that, and off you go.

-------------------------

This is the first time that you have attached an SATA drive to this motherboard, yes? I am talking totally off the top of my head here, but did you enable "enhanced mode" for the PATA controller or for the SATA controller? I'm too lazy to download and read your BIOS manual at the moment. I would think that SATA configuration and EIDE configuration would be at least different areas on the same page, and want to make sure that you get the right one. I dont' recall "enhanced" being an option for SATA configuration, just "IDE", "AHCI", and "RAID".

Finally, or maybe first, how recently have you updated your BIOS and your win2K drivers? 2k is a fairly old OS. I honestly don't know what the disk, partition, and file size limits were. You might peek at http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_si... (boy, am I lazy today!).

Ahh - here's a note from 2007 that may be obsolete by now. How big are your PATA drives?
"The reason is Windows 2000 can only recognise upto 137GB Capacity
Barrier is also known as 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for
ATA (IDE), Serial ATA or ATAPI disc drives. The 137GB limitation does
not affect SCSI interface disc drives.
Octek has updated all BIOSes to support 48-bit LBA since 2002 (Code
2K300 or later); however, in order to properly access the full
capacity of an ATA interface hard drive larger than 137GB, your system
must meet the system requirements described below. There are three
general methods of support:
As such you are required to partition your HDD into more manageable
portions, alternatively you can upgrade to WIndows 2003

Subject: Re: Disk Size - Windows 2000

48-bit Logical Block Addressing(LBA) is supported in Windows 2003,
Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000 SP4. However, sometimes it is not
enabled by default.
See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013"

Can someone with more recent experience give this nice person a definitive answer so s/he doesn't have to listen to me ramble any more?
February 15, 2011 9:35:32 PM

Thankyou very much for your suggestions.

I have windows 2000 SP4.

The drive is a brand new hitachi deskstar drive. I dont have anything on it (not even formatted it)

Abit AI7 bios allows for simultaneous usage of PATA/SATA drives. For that purpose AI7 has two options "combined" and "enhanced". The combined mode works but only IDE1 and IDE2 ports are enabled. Since I use IDE1 for two PATA drives and IDE2 for CD drive, I need to use "enhance" option which allows me to connect the SATA drive thro IDE3 port.

When I connect the drive this way, the bios recognizes the drive properly. In win2000, the drive shows up under disk management only. It was listed as "Unallocated" with a size of "128GB"
I followed your instructions to remove the 48bit lba restrictions. Now I can see the full size of 1TB in the disk management and still shows up as "unallocated". Also, when I right click on the SATA disk's icon in the disk management window, the partition option still shows up as greyed out (disabled).

I also got a usb/sata adapter and connected the drive to usb port. Now, under disk management, the drive shows up as full 1TB drive (still the partition option is greyed out). This was possible even before removing the 48bit lba restriction. The dirve still doesn't show up in the file management section.

May be should I format the drive thro the usb connection in order to make sure the drive shows up in the file management section and that I can store/retreive data (just make sure that nothing is wrong with the drive)? Then possibly the partition option may become enabled under disk management?

Thanks again for your help.

Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2011 10:51:20 PM

Well, you are now beyond anything I can figure out. Let us know what turns out to be the answer.
Score
February 16, 2011 5:35:10 PM

I downloaded the partition software you recommended. Now I was able to partition and assign drive letters. After that the disk manager shows the disk as 'healthy" and I can also see it in file management. Also, the partition and format options are now enabled in the disk managment window.

It appears that all problems are solved. Thanks very much for your help.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2011 6:14:58 PM

Glad it worked. I have literally no idea why you couldn't do it in Disk Mangler.

I would strongly suggest some stress tests before you entrust it with important data, to make sure that all of this inexplicably-working stuff stays working. And backup.
Score
February 25, 2011 1:04:18 PM

Best answer selected by jmuthu.
Score
a c 136 V Motherboard
February 26, 2011 5:16:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!