Abnormal temp on New Build Stress Test?

superlite17

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
With the help of this forum, I put together a new system yesterday, and have the OS up and running. I am now performing the testing in accordance with the step-by-step sticky, using Prime 95 and checking temp on the CoreTemp utility.

On this Itel i7 930, about 30 minutes into the test at 100% load it looks like this:

Core 0: Low 84c High 87C
Core 1: Low 98c High 228c
Core 2: Low 77c High 81c
Core 3: Low 97c High 99c

Core one keeps bouncing from 99c to 228c avery couple of seconds

Core 2 is a black font, and the others cores are yellow. The fans seem to be running OK.

Is this a normal reaction to the stress test? I am a bit worried.

superlite17

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I contacted Intel chat support and they said this:

Diego: Temperature differences are expected to happen among cores, as a matter of fact we do not take under consideration the temperature value of each core, the only value that should be considered is the temperature of the whole processor

you: So would these temps be normal under a stress test?

Diego: We do not validate any results on third party software. Furthermore, the only information available is the thermal specification for the processor, not for each core

you: OK. Can you at least comment on the temp using the assumption the test was accurate? I'm not a computer guy, really, and would like to know if I should look into this further before installing a bunch of software.

Diego: You should take under consideration the temperature of the processor and see if it is within the thermal specifications which can go up to 70 C

Diego: As long as the temperature is below that value the processor should be fine

So I guess i have a problem

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
thats just abnormaly high. I never really did a stress test with my 930 but it topped at 50degrees with the stock coller in games and some other stuff. And on idle it was like 30-35. Try downloading realtemp ussually pretty accurate.

superlite17

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Yes, it's a stock cooler. I'm kind of wondering, though, if I'm not panicking about this stress test. Normal temps are about 38-41 deg while loading software, etc. The stress test was 100% load on the CPU, and I don't know how radical that torture session was.

The stock cooler IS whimpy, but I'm not gaming or doing anything too extreme. The system seems otherwise stable. I don't know......maybe I'll just watch the temp for a few days and see what happens.

It does have me worried, though.

An over clocked 920 / 930 (3.7 - 3.8 Ghz) would hit low 60's on any decent 3rd party cooler....low to mid 50's with the best ones.

At 4.0 - 4.2 Ghz, the best ones will get you low 70's. Again, all using P95 or an equivalent.

So for you to be in the 90's is downright scary. Even on the stock cooler, at stock speeds, I would expect 55-65 tops.

What does BIOS say ?

superlite17

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
OK, I'll do that. I looked at the BIOS that put the temp at about 38 degs, but that wasn't under a load. One thing that does support at least some higher temps was when I pulled off a case side cover while the stress test was taking place, and noticed the temp LED on the MB was red.....

But the system never acted unstable, didn't flicker, etc. If I had never run that stress program I would be think everything in the build turned out great. I don't think I will ever put the kind of load that torture test put on it during normal use, but after spending those dollars on this new hot (no pun intended) system, I would like to see it running just right. I thought with the big coolermaster case and all the ventilation overheating would be the least of my worries.

I only put together one system before this, about two years ago. I never ran Prime 95 on it and haven't had any trouble. Does that stress program really run the CPU at 100% load on all cores? Is a CPU supposed to run like that and stay cool? Is is possible the program itself is the issue?

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
yes a cpu is supposed stay cool under 100percent load well cooler at least than yours. You haven't OCd right? What case do you have? Is it in open air or close to walls? or in a cupboard?

Here is what I would do

1. put the system in the center of your room, take of the side cover and turn on the system

2. see if all fans are working those from the cooler and the case fans.

3. if they are download realtemp as I said and check the temps with that. It will also tell you the frequency because maybe you mobo likes OCing without asking.
download realtemp from here http://tweakers.net/meuktracker/21846/real-temp-340.html

4. If you still get those temps check the fan rpm's(don't know which program is best for that)

5. If that is normal aswell dissasemble the system and recconect the cooler see if there is enough thermal grease.

6. If that wasn't the issue either than I don't have a clue

superlite17

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
007, thanks for your reply! Here are the components of my build:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $209.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $288.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225

Note: Combo deal for MB and CPU $473.98

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity $309.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150491

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $109.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer $27.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106334

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders – OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116762

I chose this sherman tank of a case precisely for the extra room and cooling capacity. In regad to overclocking, I called Gigabyte tech support to confirm the bios settings after the first Prime 95 stress test, and he had me adjust the frequency to 1600 to match the RAM, but other than that he thought everything looked good.

Last night I was installing files, software, and doing a couple of things while running the core temp program. The load never got above about 20%, and the temp peaked at 50c briefly, but mostly ran at 38-40c.

I then downloaded real temp and ran both temp programs while starting Prime 95 for Windows 64 bit blend test. The temps went immediately into the 80's and 90's on both temp monitors, and my son thought he heard a high pitched sound coming from the case. I immediately stopped the test.

All fans are spinning. I can check RPM's, but will have to do that later when I get back home. The case is not restricted in any way, and is open to air ventilation. The system acts very very stable. I also can't account for the earlier reading well above the point the CPU would have shut down.

I guess I can check the CPU HS mounting, but since it just snaps into the MB I am not sure how that could be buggered up. The CPU came with pre-applied stripes of termal paste.

Really flummoxed here, and worried. After checking the CPU fan mounting, I am not sure what to check yet. Looking for more suggestions.

RICK

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
It could be that whatever measures those temps(I don't know what that is mobo or cpu) is faulty. Although those idle temps are "relatively" normal. And going in the 80's is also not abnormal low 90's is the limit though.

Well I don't know what to do either. The solution would be to test parts individuall vbut then you'd need another i7 system which is hard to find.

waffleufugus

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
just as an fyi, my recent i7 930 build's core temps reached 82c on prime95 with the stock intel cooler. I'm now at 60c full load prime95 on a cheap hyper 212 plus cooler. might be something to think about.

superlite17

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
A little internet searching turns up a lot of chatter about the i7 930 stock fan either being shite, or at the least not too good.

I checked the mounting pins on the HS, and I don't think they are seated very securely in the motherboard. I can gently pull on the edge of the fan housing and two pins unclip. I double checked the pin rotation, etc. several times, and pushed the pins in until they seemed to snap. When locked it still can be dislodged easily, which seems to indicate it's not seating all that well on the chip. Definately a funky connection.

I ordered the recomended coolermaster Hyper 212, and will swap out the stock cooler when it arrives. What a drag to have to disconnect everything and pull the MB out again. Hope this works---and hoped I haven't damaged anything during this process.

In the meantime I hope I'm not making a mistake by loading software onboard. The temp stays around 40c when not under that stress load.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
you have a removable mobo tray so its not as much as hassle as it was when I installed my d14 lol. And my cutout backplate was 0.5cm too small for the d14 backplate. that was a frustrating moment.

Yeah the fact that the pins come out isnt a good sign. With me they were very secure when I installed the stock cooler.

superlite17

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Just an update......I recieved and installed the Hyper 212 cooler today, and on Prime 95 it's running between 58-63c so far about 20 minutes into it. Incidentally, my MB did have a cut-out section in the back which made it much easier.
Examining the pins of the stock cooler from the back side of the MB, it could be the center drive pin didn't fully expand the outer pin shell----if you get what I mean. But even fiddling with it for a bit it didn't seem to seat like you would want it too.

Bottom line on this particular case, is that maybe the stock cooler could have been seated better, but I think the push pin design kind of sucks and creates the situation. Also, the pre-installed stripes of thermal grease didn't look like it had very good coverage when I pulled the HS off. I'm glad I got the new cooler.

Thanks to all for your help!

RICK