Will this onboard Video solution work temporarily?

chibigoten

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I've been wanting to upgrade my old system for a long time and I finally found the time/money/deals to do it. My problem is I cant afford to buy it all at once.

I currently have an ATI Radeon X850xt PE 256MB that's AGP and its about 5 years old. I was hoping that I could buy a system with a decent modern on board video card to use until I can save up for a nice new card.

What I found in my price range was this mobo here.

My question is how well would that newer on board ATI Radeon HD 4200 compare to my once-top-of-the-line X850 AGP card?

My hope is to have enough in 2-6 weeks to buy a modern card to replace it.

chibigoten

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Could you define older games? I dont really play that many modern games and my main reason for dropping the x850 is lack of support for some dx10 features that dont allow me to play newer games.

Right now I play suppreme commander 1, Team Fortress 2, warcraft 3, world of warcraft, and counter strike source.

How do you suppose it would handle those games? I can deal with a sizable performance loss so long as playing these games does not become impossible.

Thanks.

Pretty much all new games still support DX9, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. There are VERY few DX10/11 exclusives.

chibigoten

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010

Supreme Commander 2.

"Minimum Vertex and Pixel Shader 3.0 required. Please ensure system has current video drivers."

I have the latest drivers and was told it was a dx10 thing.

Im just concerned about this onboard video being able to play any of the current games I listed.