Convert my desktop to a HTPC

ncpierced

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I built my desktop a while ago. I am looking at converting it to a HTPC. I am looking to do a few upgrades if needed but the main concerns i have deals with the graphics and being able to connect via HDMI. I really dont do a lot of gaming anymore and spend most of the time on my laptop when i have time at home. Thus the reason why i want to convert it. I have a lot of movies, music and other media that i take with me when i deploy via portable 1TB hard drives.

I am looking at upgrading the HDD space to 6-8TB in the HTPC since i probably will not run out of space anytime in the near future. Looking at connecting the HTPC to my surround sound which it is already capable of doing via the onboard card.

Can someone provide any feedback on a HTPC case as well as any other things i might need to change? My current rig is:

EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
INTEL E6700
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
6 Gigs Ram
2x1.5 TB WD hard drives

I do apoligize for not being able to give a little more specific information. I am currently deployed (again) and looking to do this change when i get back next year.

Thank you

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your current rig should work just fine as it is. The only thing you really need to worry about is the HTPC case in that it needs to support an ATX form factor motherboard and have sufficient 3.5" internal drive bays for extra hard drives:

This list of HTPC cases should serve as a base line until you're ready to purchase and build.

Hope this helps!
-Wolf sends

P.S. Be careful over there!

TRENDING THREADS