Sign in with
Your question

No display after BIOS update

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2010 1:47:19 PM

Hi All,

I decided to update my BIOS to the latest version and since then my graphics card does not display anything.
only when i remove the card physically and use the onboard display.

In BIOS, i set the primary display to internal, but the board still uses the card as primary and i get no display from either.

im not sure what to do to get this working. please help.

MB: Intel DG41TY
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

More about : display bios update

a c 1307 U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 2:44:53 PM

Pete21 said:
Hi All,

I decided to update my BIOS to the latest version and since then my graphics card does not display anything.
only when i remove the card physically and use the onboard display.

In BIOS, i set the primary display to internal, but the board still uses the card as primary and i get no display from either.

im not sure what to do to get this working. please help.

MB: Intel DG41TY
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

Primary display adapter should be set to PCI express to use a card in the PCIe slot.
April 23, 2010 4:05:42 PM

rolli59 said:
Primary display adapter should be set to PCI express to use a card in the PCIe slot.

Thanks rolli59 this fixed my 'no display' issue but now im faced with another issue :( 

In "Device Manager" under my "Display Adapter" my graphics card status says
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Im a bit confused. This is the only device i have under display adapters and there is no conflict with any other device in the whole list. Im not sure what I should do to free up a resource. I have the same setup i had before i updated BIOS.

Any suggestions?
Related resources
a c 1307 U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 4:31:32 PM

Have you disabled your integrated GPU (in device manager) and reinstalled the drivers for your 9600GT which is now your primary adapter (should show in device manager if drivers installed)
April 23, 2010 4:48:06 PM

Yes i have updated the GPU with the latest drivers from NVIDIA dated April 3 2010
Device Manager displays "NVIDIA GeForce9600 GT" but still cant find available resources.
a c 1307 U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 5:45:16 PM

In think you have a OS issue (registry), maybe a repair install on your OS is the solution.
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 5:58:46 PM

You might consider rolling back your BIOS to the old version and see if that helps. It's usually not recommended to update your BIOS unless there's a good reason -- e.g. you're adding new components or there's a known bug that it's supposed to fix.

If you do a BIOS update on a system that's already stable, the two main outcomes are neutral or negative. If you're lucky, you see no difference after the update. If you're unlucky, something doesn't work anymore. You can make the same argument for video card drivers in many cases as well.

Basically, unless there's some specific new feature you're after and you've read about it in advance -- or you need to update to stay compatible with something -- BIOS and device driver updates are trouble looking for a place to happen. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
April 23, 2010 6:30:22 PM

capt_taco said:
You might consider rolling back your BIOS to the old version and see if that helps. It's usually not recommended to update your BIOS unless there's a good reason -- e.g. you're adding new components or there's a known bug that it's supposed to fix.

If you do a BIOS update on a system that's already stable, the two main outcomes are neutral or negative. If you're lucky, you see no difference after the update. If you're unlucky, something doesn't work anymore. You can make the same argument for video card drivers in many cases as well.

Basically, unless there's some specific new feature you're after and you've read about it in advance -- or you need to update to stay compatible with something -- BIOS and device driver updates are trouble looking for a place to happen. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I wasn't aware BIOS was so sensitive.
I have fixed my issue by rolling back to the original BIOS version.
:D 

Thank you all for your help, Im off to play some games :) 
!