Compouter lags and way under performs (bent cpu socket pin?)

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
My cpu sockect appeared to have a slightly bent cpu socket pin, I took it in to get the cpu installed and eversince my brand new computer has been put into action it always under performs. Could a bent cpu pin cause the issue?

All my games lag, could it be a memory controller issue?

Specs in sig.

Any input would be greatly appretiated.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
^Not really true, if I'm understanding this right. When you say that your games are lagging, it wouldn't be the hard drive, due to the fact that the program would have already been loaded into the memory... it isn't being run off of the HDD.

I really doubt that it's the pin's fault, but maybe it is. I would have expected the computer to either POST or not POST with that, not work partially. How badly is the pin bent? On a scale of one to ten, one being perfectly straight and ten being bent 90 degrees, how bad is it? As long as it isn't that bad, it should still be making contact because of how the LGA-system works.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Well their is a whole array of pins. It is a LGA1366 socket and their is one pin that just appears to stand out of flush I would say most likly 2 out of 10 at most. The pin appears to be darker, Thats how I noticed it.

About my hard drive though I ran it through the WD Disk diagnosis tool from the manafacturer page and it fails the read/write section and cannot complete the test without an error code after 16 minutes and then after 9 seconds every time after the first test.

I called WD and they recomend I RMA it right away and I'm going to be replacing it and hope the issue is solved.

I'll report back either way because if it doesnt help than I have narrowed it down to being either the processor or the mobo.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Oh, wow... you had a bent pin and a bad hard drive. Having a bad day I'd say. :??: I'd say as soon as you get your new HDD back, everything should be working fine. It doesn't sound like your pin was bent enough to cause any serious problems.
Good luck is really all I can say right now.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

More like a bad two weeks of me trying to figure out why my $2000 computer cant even play cod 4.

It hurts.

I have gotten pretty upset about it but I'm trying to stay calm and get this thing working

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Yepp.

I'm going to RMA my hard drive on Tuesday but I'll be back on today.

I'm bringing back my third monitor this month, it has a dead pixel and the center of the screen blurs after it heats up for a while.

I'm going to just use my tv for a bit so with the extra cash I'm going to by a kingston 64gb solid state hdd. So I'll report back if my issue is solved.