Sign in with
Your question
Solved

5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm for simulations

Last response: in Storage
July 13, 2012 2:52:47 PM

Hi. I've seen threads on this topic, but I wanted to ask again because my application is different from the things I've read about.

The question is, will I see a huge difference between a 5400 rpm drive and a 7200 rpm drive if I'm running custom simulations that may write records of data to disk, say, a couple times per second (maybe more)? I realize that 7200 rpm will likely be faster, but how much faster?

I couldn't care less if applications take a half second longer to launch or whatever, but I don't want to bottleneck the speed of my sims. I also read that not all writes to disk happen when they're requested. I guess they get queued up until there's enough data to make it worth doing the expensive write operation. Is this true? If so, would this lessen the difference I would observe between 5400 and 7200 rpm?

Thanks for any advice.

Best solution

a c 311 G Storage
July 14, 2012 11:03:02 PM

All other things being equal, a 7200 RPM drive will have a significantly faster transfer rate than a 5400 RPM drive. I would consult the "maximum sustained data transfer rate" spec just to be sure.
July 25, 2012 12:35:34 AM

Best answer selected by Pacopag.
m
l
!