Sign in with
Your question

PC Power Issues

Last response: in Components
July 29, 2010 9:03:35 PM

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but I'm having issues with my desktop.

About two months ago I awoke one day and tried turning on my desktop only to have it not even do anything when I pressed the power button.

To test teh problem I did the following things:

-Pressed the powerswitch on the PSU, still didn't happen
-Tried unplugging the power cable from the surge protector into the wall outlet directly still the PC wouldn't turn on.
-Tried testing the PSU on a different wall socket and again nothing happend

So after those I contacted OCZ the manufacture of my PSU and got a replacement that came in a couple of weeks ago but I've been pretty busy lately so I finally got around to installing the new PSU which was brand new in the box the other night after installing it yeah the same thing happend again the computer wouldn't turn on by pressing the power button on the front of the case.

The next day I took my computer over to my brother in laws who is building a new PC and asked him to take a look because I thought maybe I might have installed it wrong, I asked him to test his new PSU in it since he won't be building the new computer till next week sometime if he couldn't get my replacement to work. He did do this and his PSU wouldn't work in my computer either.

So my question is what could be the cause on why the computer won't turn on? I highly doubt both my replacement PSU and his brand new PSU are DOA.

I'd like to get my computer back up and running ASAP because I have important documents on there that I need to access to.

More about : power issues

a c 289 ) Power supply
July 29, 2010 9:13:48 PM

List your full system specs, it makes it easier for us to trouble shoot.

Have to tried disconnecting the case power switch from the motherboard and shorting the two pins it connected with a screw driver? That will test to see if its the switch.

Use the method shown in the video to test and make sure your PSU isnt DOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

If neither of those work, go through our full boot checklist, perform each step. It fixes or identifies most issues
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
July 29, 2010 9:40:21 PM

My specs are

Processor: Intel E8400 at Stock Speeds
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Rev 2.1
Case: Antec P182
PSU: OCZ OCZ GameXStream OCZ850GXSSLI; Original was OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI
Video Card: XFX Nvidia 8800GT
HDD: 500GB Seagate SATA
Optical Drives: Sony IDE DVD-ROM; Lite-On DL DVD-Burner SATA
Sound Card: PCI-E Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

Not sure if you guys need anything else.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 30, 2010 3:58:29 AM

Oops I forgot to add my RAM which is 4GB (1GB x 4) of G.Skill 800 DDR2

Also I did the paper clip thing in the video posted and the powersupply worked so I can assume it's my motherboard correct?
m
l
a c 289 ) Power supply
July 30, 2010 4:09:28 AM

Did you try using a screw driver instead of the case power button? All that the PSU test tells us is that your PSU is capable of providing power, we dont know if its necessarily the motherboard yet. If the power button on the case broke it wouldnt turn on and thats a much cheaper fix than a new board.
m
l
July 30, 2010 4:26:56 AM

How would I use a screw driver to turn on the computer? Just curious.

I'm sure that the power button on the front of the case isn't broken I don't press it very hard as for replacing the motherboard it's still under warranty so I'd just get it RMAed from Gigabyte.
m
l
a c 289 ) Power supply
July 30, 2010 4:35:51 AM

All your power button does is make a temporary short between two pins on the motherboard, a screwdriver can fill this role quite well. Find the power button connector on the motherboard, remove the connector and use a screw driver to short those two pins, if nothing happens that means it is almost certainly the motherboard, if its the power button on the case it should power up like normal.
m
l
July 30, 2010 4:37:44 AM

Okay well I'll test that out tomorrow since I have the computer taken apart right now and if it doesn't switch on then I'll RMA the old motherboard via Gigabyte.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
!