Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • HD
  • Maxtor
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 13, 2012 3:26:35 PM

Hi

I have a 6B300S0 with a load of data on it that I am desperately trying to get off it. The transfer rate has dropped to almost nothing and the system become really unstable. HD tune returns these errors:

Reallocated Sector Count - failed, the scan revealed only one 114MB sector damaged...

Is there anyway to rescue the data?

More about : dying maxtor

a b G Storage
July 13, 2012 4:22:58 PM

try copying over a few files at once instead of trying to copy everything over at once. that way you can find out which files are bad. at this point its save as much as you can
July 13, 2012 4:33:52 PM

Yeah, I am trying... at 400 KB/second or less!

Cheers

Related resources
July 13, 2012 5:33:40 PM

Is it worth trying any data recovery software, or is it just as effective to try dragging each file off?

a b G Storage
July 13, 2012 5:45:08 PM

it might help.the only one i know of is called spinrite but it costs 89 USD
July 13, 2012 5:52:32 PM

Interesting that you get some throughput from a damaged drive. I would go with the second poster's recommendation. Are you copying files off it from within the original machine (or is it the C: on the original machine)? if that is the case I would suggest taking it out of the computer and copying the files on a different system. Maybe there's something wrong with your computer's controller chip. I haven't had a drive become sluggish like this unless the system was infected with a ton of malware.
July 13, 2012 6:00:59 PM

Was having a myriad of problems, the latest was a windows disk error which prompted me to get everything off it (I trying to crash plan it all but that seemed to start causing problems too...)

Started again with a clean install of windows on a third drive, and all pulling it all off on to a USB HDD as even the c drive has shown some errors in HD tune. Fully suspect the board or something to be the problem but I don't have access to another rig at the moment - unless its possible to connect it to a laptop some how?

Currently transferring at 2.58 kb/sec...

a b G Storage
July 13, 2012 6:03:09 PM

you could get a USB hard drive enclosure to put the drive in and connect it to a laptop that way
a b G Storage
July 13, 2012 6:11:28 PM

You can run a full check disk on it, that may help, even though it could take a while.
July 15, 2012 8:03:46 AM

Cheers all

I tried to run a full scan disk but it just crashed an hour in to it. Pretty sure the rest of the data isn't vital, so I'll remove it and leave it for a bit. Back up back up back up...

Can anyone shed any light on this benchmark - doesn't look good to me but then I haven't a clue. Using it as my c drive.

Would I be better off using this?

John