Sign in with
Your question

Need Dual Monitor setup - Quick

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2010 3:19:43 PM

alright so I need a dual Monitor setup...

My specs are in my sig, and I dont want to go about 1920x1200 (thats absolute max)

Now I'm currently using my 40" 720 tv as my monitor, but its getting really irritating to focus on typing and programing so far away, and when I' close I see giant pixels.

Its perfect for gaming but not for anything else.

Now then, here is what I proposed to myself. To grab a 3D monitor + non 3D and use them both for programming and use the 3D one alone for gaming.

Suggestions? Possible other solutions. Wait on the 3D?

Anyways I also wanted to add tht I do have a 17inch laying around (non widescreen) but what is annoying about it, is its matte finish...which is good for reflections but terrible for clarity.

Just wanted to add that maybe ppl can combo that into a setup or w.e:p 

Anyways thnx, would be great for some quick answers since I'm leaving tomorrow:p 

:D 

EDIT: what I also want is to know is monitor brands...models etc...I'm really bad with picking the right monitor, lol and I have bad luck of get Dead Pixels on arrival...my I had to bring back my laptop twice because of Dead P, thank god it was in the first 30 days.
April 23, 2010 5:07:47 PM

thanks I'll look into em while im in the StateS:D 
Related resources
April 23, 2010 5:17:34 PM

if i were you i would keep the 40" and get a 22"or 20" for other purpose
April 23, 2010 5:51:35 PM

For my dual display, I have a 23 inch Dell as my main/gaming screen and a 19inch 2xGen as my secondary.

I find that having 2 matching screens looks cool, but necessary at all. For gaming, I'd say 19" is the min and 30" is the max on the desktop. (I need space on my desk and anything beyond is silly. I keep 30+ for my tv's.) On your secondary, that 17" would work fine, but it's up to you on how annoying the finish is.

As far as brands go, Samsung and Dell PC monitors have been great for me so far. I've had problems with LG and dead pixels, but that could happen to any screen. LG still is a top brand and if you find a good deal on them, by all means go for it.

The Acer WR2 listed is good value, while the Ultrasharp seems overpriced.

I generally stay under $200 if the monitor is only 19". Plan on spending more for anything bigger. You can get $200 22-23" lcds but expect low contrast ratio's and slower ms times.

Edit: How's that 480GTX SLI working? Besides very fast and very hot.
April 23, 2010 8:02:55 PM

Great, drivers are stable especially in dirt where the min fre rate is only 10 frames away.
Battlefield bc 2 needs tweaking.. Game seems to have 30 min frame rate sometimes for no reason.

They aren't nearly as bad as ppl make them to be, but neither are the as quiet as fanboys say.

I'd say if ur paying high end u know wat ur getting into. I'm going water cooling as soon as I get back from the trip.

Thanks for the advice, any ideas on a good contrast ratio? Like is there a big diff between the huge numbers I see from some monitors? Or is it like anti aliasing, where after 4 x u can barely see a diff unless u look close.

Oh and ms speeds? Does it have to be 2 or is 5 ok as well?

Thanks again!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2010 8:07:25 PM

Manicslayer said:
Edit: How's that 480GTX SLI working? Besides very fast and very hot.
The Dell UltraSharp U2410 nearly matches the quality of his SLI setup. (The U2410 being even higher in quality, of course)
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2010 8:12:11 PM

L1qu1d said:
Oh and ms speeds? Does it have to be 2 or is 5 ok as well?
Not an important factor as long as is under 10ms. You want good brightness and contrast as well.
You want to know the true contrast ratio (1,000-1 is very good) more than you want to know the dynamic contrast ratio (20000:1 or so)
April 23, 2010 8:15:00 PM

WR2 said:
The Dell UltraSharp U2410 nearly matches the quality of his SLI setup. (The U2410 being even higher in quality, of course)

?
April 26, 2010 5:31:23 PM

I think he's saying that the Dell UltraSharp U2410 is extremely high priced because of its top-tier quality.
It's basically the equivalent of a 5970 OC'd to the max on N2.
!