Quick quesiton

I`ve been in the process of saving money for a new gaming PC. i was searching processors and i came across an issue. what would be better for gaming? an six core AMD Phenom or an i5 processor? also i was wondering what would be better, putting a crossfire of two ATI radeon 5670 chips in or just putting one ATI Radeon 5830 in. and my last question is what would be fast and more efficitient a single Terrabyte hard disk internal hard drive or a 30 gig solid state hardrive? please answer on your own convience and thank you for taking the time to read this
13 answers Last reply
More about quick quesiton
  1. i'd rather go with the i5 for gaming

if you are considering going with the 5830, i'd recommend getting a gtx 460 instead

as for the hard drive question, what OS will you be getting. if it is 7, then a 30GB ssd is not large enough.
  2. HDD = Samsung Spinpoint F3 - cheap and very fast
  3. well, the i5 will be faster for gaming on the vast majority of occasions, but the 6 core has some pluses too. the 5830 is a waste now, get the 460. the 30 gig will be big enough for just windows 7, but you would also need a storage drive. ssds dont benefit games much (most games).
  4. However, if you can find a 5830 for $180 and don t plan on crossfiring in the future, its a good deal over the GTX460s.
  5. wow thanks for the feedback guys. i really appreciate it. so to recap, i would want to go with an i5 processor, a gtx 460 nvidia graphics card and the TB internal. right? anything else i should throw in there, im not going for top notch, but i`d like to get close without ripping a hole in my pocket.
  6. Whats your budget? Go to the systems section, post according to the sticky and lets see if we can whip up a full build..
  7. my budget is $800-1000 heres the link to the website ive been using and the model ive been looking athttp://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel_P55_Core_i5_i7_Configurator
  8. Keep in mind an i5 or Phenom II x6 is going to be overkill for a GTX460.

Look into maybe a Phenom Ii x3/4 or i3, then put more towards the GPU.
  9. what do you mean by overkill? im REALLY new to all of this haha
  10. Raidur said:
    Keep in mind an i5 or Phenom II x6 is going to be overkill for a GTX460.

Look into maybe a Phenom Ii x3/4 or i3, then put more towards the GPU.

how exactly is a i5 "overkill" for the 460???
  11. I call it overkill because you'd get the same performance on most games with a Phenom II/C2Q.

You need a 5970 or higher to tell the difference. Since the i5 is capable of higher performance I consider that a bottleneck.
  12. i disagree, but personally, id get a 955 mainly due to future proofing, better motherboards, and he is partially right in the fact that few games wont be pretty maxed by a 460 (most should), but even fewer would get 60+ with a better cpu.
  13. oh i see. thanks a bunch for all of this feedback guys. It`s going to help me out alot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Processors Components