Tony Airel

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I`ve been in the process of saving money for a new gaming PC. i was searching processors and i came across an issue. what would be better for gaming? an six core AMD Phenom or an i5 processor? also i was wondering what would be better, putting a crossfire of two ATI radeon 5670 chips in or just putting one ATI Radeon 5830 in. and my last question is what would be fast and more efficitient a single Terrabyte hard disk internal hard drive or a 30 gig solid state hardrive? please answer on your own convience and thank you for taking the time to read this

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
i'd rather go with the i5 for gaming

if you are considering going with the 5830, i'd recommend getting a gtx 460 instead

as for the hard drive question, what OS will you be getting. if it is 7, then a 30GB ssd is not large enough.

ares1214

Splendid
well, the i5 will be faster for gaming on the vast majority of occasions, but the 6 core has some pluses too. the 5830 is a waste now, get the 460. the 30 gig will be big enough for just windows 7, but you would also need a storage drive. ssds dont benefit games much (most games).

Tony Airel

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
wow thanks for the feedback guys. i really appreciate it. so to recap, i would want to go with an i5 processor, a gtx 460 nvidia graphics card and the TB internal. right? anything else i should throw in there, im not going for top notch, but i`d like to get close without ripping a hole in my pocket.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I call it overkill because you'd get the same performance on most games with a Phenom II/C2Q.

You need a 5970 or higher to tell the difference. Since the i5 is capable of higher performance I consider that a bottleneck.

ares1214

Splendid
i disagree, but personally, id get a 955 mainly due to future proofing, better motherboards, and he is partially right in the fact that few games wont be pretty maxed by a 460 (most should), but even fewer would get 60+ with a better cpu.