Sign in with
Your question

How much does gfx card help play HD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2010 3:46:24 PM

I had a quick question, how much does a graphics card help play HD video? I have a older computer that I'm using as a media center (P4 3.0HT, 2.5GB DDR2, 8800GT) and I was thinking about getting a blu-ray drive for it. How much would it help, if at all? I have it hooked up to a 32" running at 1366x768. Thanks!

More about : gfx card play

April 23, 2010 6:05:51 PM

a heck lot in ur case... i have a p4 3.06 ghz and trust me hd videos don't run smooth... i suggest u upgrade the system...
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2010 7:46:17 PM

so would the 8800gt make playing blu rays possible?
m
l
April 24, 2010 3:12:38 PM

the card is fine... the cpu is the bottleneck... get a newer one...
m
l
April 24, 2010 4:56:02 PM

I understand that I would need a new processor for optimal playback, but Im still curious if the PureVideo decoder for the 8800 would give me a usable blu ray playing computer?
m
l
April 24, 2010 5:03:55 PM

it depends on ur use...

if u wanna hook up this computer to an a big screen tv you only get the video and no audio... also the connection must be made via a dvi or vga cable.. so full hd cannot be obtained... if u want to play flawless bd video on ur big screen get a new card...

if u are using ur monitor to play bd then i guess the graphics card is sufficient...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2010 5:18:04 PM

That gpu will work, you can use dvi-hdmi, or whatever your HD tv has for HD inputs.
for video only. Its a powerful video card, and lots of blu ray playback software is built and tested to run on that Nvidia card.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800_gt_us...
Quote:
Watch movies the way Hollywood intended
Features the revolutionary second generation NVIDIA PureVideo® HD engine, it delivers astounding Blu-ray and HD DVD movie picture quality on a PC.

m
l
April 24, 2010 5:31:59 PM

I have it currently hooked up via a dvi-hdmi adapter and have it plugged into a 5.1 speaker system. I understand that its not going to be full hd, do to my tv, but a buddy brought over avatar and played it on my tv via hdmi on his ps3 and it looked obviously amazing lol
m
l
April 24, 2010 5:46:35 PM

sabre181 said:
I have it currently hooked up via a dvi-hdmi adapter and have it plugged into a 5.1 speaker system. I understand that its not going to be full hd, do to my tv, but a buddy brought over avatar and played it on my tv via hdmi on his ps3 and it looked obviously amazing lol

dvi can output full hd and if u have taken care of the audio trust me you'll enjoy watching avatar with it...

i'm getting my copy of avatar on tuesday... can't wait to stress my ht setup... :) 
m
l
!