Sign in with
Your question

Hardware upgrades... now monitor is blank screen...

Last response: in Components
July 29, 2010 11:46:10 PM

Hi,

I'm a new member and this is my first post...

I have an Alienware computer which I purchased 13 months ago. <unfortunately I had a 12 month warrantee> I have done minor hardware upgrades on other computers in the past without issue, but this time I have a problem... I upgraded the power supply, memory, and CPU and now the monitor will not show anything. I wished I would have installed one component at a time which might have made troubleshooting a little easier. :( 

- I called the company of the new power supply and they had me jumper different pins and decided the power supply was fine.
- I reinstalled the old power supply, memory, and CPU and still cannot get anything to show up on the monitor.
- I tried a hard drive and SATA cable from another computer with no success.
- All fans work and removed & replaced mobo battery to reset.
- No sound from speakers except "thump" from initial power on.
- Removing the DVI cable from the video card the screen will say "Check Signal Cable". When I plug it back in it will go black again and then to "Power Save" soon after.

After browsing these forums and doing my own amatuer troubleshooting, I fear I could have hurt my ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboard. Hope not. Not cheap and I'm now broke from buying the upgrades...

Any help in guiding me through troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Any questions I can answer on hardware, etc, to help in your diagnosis, please ask...

Thanks in advance! :) 
July 30, 2010 12:13:36 AM

try removing and replacing the bios battery and set the clear cmos jumper

also what speed is your new cpu and memory and what sise is the memory

m
l
July 30, 2010 12:55:13 AM

dj1997 said:
try removing and replacing the bios battery and set the clear cmos jumper

also what speed is your new cpu and memory and what sise is the memory

Removed and then reinstalled the BIOS battery and not sure what "set the clear cmos jumper" is. I did press the RESET on the bottom of the mobo tho..

Memory is: Elpida 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Jedec Standard (PC3-1066)

CPU is: 3.33GHz up from 2.66GHz

Thanks!

m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2010 2:01:02 PM

Need to know more then that, what's the model of the new PSU? I take it the CPU is an i7 980x? If so I'm not surprised you're broke now...

What happens when you push the power button?
Do the fans spin up?
Are there any beeps (if you have a mobo speaker)?

I'm not sure about the P6T but my P7P55D has POST LED's next to each component area which come on when testing then go off when successful, if you do have these are there any which stay on?
m
l
August 2, 2010 2:01:15 PM

Need to know more then that, what's the model of the new PSU? I take it the CPU is an i7 980x? If so I'm not surprised you're broke now...

Do the fans spin up?

I'm not sure about the P6T but my P7P55D has POST LED's next to each component area which come on when testing then go off when successful, if you do have these are there any which stay on?
m
l
August 2, 2010 10:52:42 PM

flaminggerbil said:

Do the fans spin up?

PSU is SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W

CPU is i7-980x (why not surprised I'm broke now??)

The fans DO spin up as mentioned in my first post. No beeps as I don't think there is a mobo speaker. I just hear initial "thump" on power up through speakers.

The Onboard Power On and Reset buttons light up. Green light on the Nvidia graphics card stays on and there is a small blue light that stays on under the 2nd (A1) DIMM slot...

m
l
August 3, 2010 1:31:44 PM

This could be a tricky one then.

It might be a good idea to buy a speaker for your motherboard, shouldn't cost much at all.

This is going to be a case of replacing/removing things until the problem's solved unfortunately, any chance you've got a spare or borrowable GPU hanging about?

Also are you 100% sure all the power cables are attached properly and in the right places (feel free to upload a picture if you want me to have a look just in case).

Quote:
CPU is i7-980x (why not surprised I'm broke now??)

It's bloody expensive. :p 
m
l
!