Power supply for a nvidia GTS 250

G

Hi

I am currently running a 9500GT but am looking to upgrade to a GTS250 made by Gigabyte.

I have a thermaltake 420w W0061 power supply at the moment. Will this be enough to handle the card? What would the danger be if i just went ahead anyway?

If this isn't possible what card could be reccommended that has a high spec that my power supply could cope with?

Thanks for your help

Paul

pizzacheeks

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
No you would need a new PSU. At least a 450W is recommend for that card. The best card you can get is a 9800 GT or ATI 5670 with your PSU Those cards would better then what you have.
However I would recommend getting new PSU at least a 600w so you can get a more high end card even the power hunger gtx 480 if you can afford $500 price tag

As mentioned you could MAYBE squeak by with that PSU if the rest of your system is lower power. No Overclocks! The danger would be you overload your PSU and the component give out. You run the danger of killing other component connected to it. You know, your video card, motherboard, CPU, Ram, hard drives, etc. So honestly I wouldn't risk it.

Really with that PSU I would look at a 5750 or maybe a 5770, both consume less power than a GTS 250 and both outperform it.

G

Thanks for your help with this.

I have decided to Ug to a 550w power. One final thing with the Gigabyte GTS 250 1GB it looks as though it only needs 1 physical slot not two like a lot of others need. I have only one PCI-E slot and nothing else in front of it but also no other expansion bays. This should be ok though right?

Thanks again.

Tosen

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I dont know an answer for you, but my brother has a 9600gt that supposedly needs a 450 watts psu and he got a 300 watts psu, actually the pc looks like its off since no noise at all, plus no overheating or shutdowns.