Wireless PC Card Locks Up Toshiba Laptop with XP Home

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
October 10, 2004 1:00:39 AM

I recently got SBC Yahoo dsl with the 2Wire home portal as well as the
2Wire Wireless PC Card for my Toshiba 1555CDS laptop. Both computers
are running XP Home Edition. I was able to successfully install the
home portal on my desktop pc but every time I try to install the pc
wireless card on my laptop, it locks up the laptop. I have tried the
following:

1) A different installation disk (figured it could be a bad
installation cd)
2) Downloaded installation files from the 2Wire website and copied
them to the hard drive and then tried to install
3) Installed successfully in Safe Mode but upon rebooting, going back
into Windows, it locked up as soon as the card is accessed.
4) Removed and and reinstalled a second time in Safe Mode this time
changing the channel (whatever this means but I was desperate enough
to try it) and I was at least able to manuever in Windows to initiate
the connection test before the pc locked up.
5) Took the card and successfully installed it on another laptop
without any problem (did this to rule out the possibility of the
wireless card being bad).
6) Checked the Toshiba website for any updated files that may be
needed in order to allow this to work but could not find any for my
particular model.

I was also briefly told that there could be some kind of conflict but
I am not sure what kind of conflict there could be. I did not have any
other items connected to the laptop. I had removed the previous
network card/drivers.

Any suggestions on how to correct this issue would be appreciated.
October 10, 2004 5:54:51 PM

First check device manager for bad drivers. Second turn off all startup
items in msconfig to see if any are interfering with it. You have software
conflicts that you will have to find.......

"K. Ferguson-Fowler" <kfergusonfowler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I recently got SBC Yahoo dsl with the 2Wire home portal as well as the
> 2Wire Wireless PC Card for my Toshiba 1555CDS laptop. Both computers
> are running XP Home Edition. I was able to successfully install the
> home portal on my desktop pc but every time I try to install the pc
> wireless card on my laptop, it locks up the laptop. I have tried the
> following:
>
> 1) A different installation disk (figured it could be a bad
> installation cd)
> 2) Downloaded installation files from the 2Wire website and copied
> them to the hard drive and then tried to install
> 3) Installed successfully in Safe Mode but upon rebooting, going back
> into Windows, it locked up as soon as the card is accessed.
> 4) Removed and and reinstalled a second time in Safe Mode this time
> changing the channel (whatever this means but I was desperate enough
> to try it) and I was at least able to manuever in Windows to initiate
> the connection test before the pc locked up.
> 5) Took the card and successfully installed it on another laptop
> without any problem (did this to rule out the possibility of the
> wireless card being bad).
> 6) Checked the Toshiba website for any updated files that may be
> needed in order to allow this to work but could not find any for my
> particular model.
>
> I was also briefly told that there could be some kind of conflict but
> I am not sure what kind of conflict there could be. I did not have any
> other items connected to the laptop. I had removed the previous
> network card/drivers.
>
> Any suggestions on how to correct this issue would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
October 11, 2004 12:04:32 PM

May want to try disabling onboard network controllers and integrated
modem. Seen a few rare occasions where there was a conflict that
would not show in device manager..
October 11, 2004 7:36:00 PM

K. Ferguson-Fowler <kfergusonfowler@yahoo.com> wrote:
: I recently got SBC Yahoo dsl with the 2Wire home portal as well as the
: 2Wire Wireless PC Card for my Toshiba 1555CDS laptop. Both computers
: are running XP Home Edition. I was able to successfully install the
: home portal on my desktop pc but every time I try to install the pc
: wireless card on my laptop, it locks up the laptop. I have tried the
: following:

Have you tried installing Windows XP Service Pack 2? It has new stuff
for wireless; perhaps it would work better?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----