Sign in with
Your question

Help Needed ASAP for new Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
July 13, 2012 11:03:37 PM

I have a windows 7 64 bit system that the C: drive is going bad on. I bought a new 2TB western digital hard drive, created a system image ( with errors) on an external hard drive (also did one on an internal hard drive. Yet I can't get the system to work with only the new hard drive?

I tried taking out both internal hard drives and just putting in the new unformatted hard drive and starting the PC and booting from the system repair disk. It won;t run restore because it says there is no hard drive?

So now I have all three drives in the PC, it recognizes all of them in the bios and in device manager but under my computer the drive does not have a letter (which IMO is good).

What do I have to do to get my system to recognize this new hard drive and then restore the disk image to that drive? DO i somehow have to format it first or do I just run resore the way the system is now and then shut the system off, disconnect the other two drives then let it boot up off of the new drive?

Sorry, right now I'm sooooo frustrated and lost I don;t know what to do next? I have a lot of information that I want to keep hence the disk image. if I boot from just the windoes installtion disk the system crashes wheil loading windows files?

I know the one hard drive is going bad because I used the western digital liefguard software on it and every time I boot the system it wants to run chkdsk but won;t complete it?

HELP PLEASE !

More about : needed asap hard drive

July 14, 2012 1:06:09 AM

rolli59 said:
You need to use the software you used to create the system image on the drive. Here is what you need to do for the drive http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-insta...

I did what it said to do here and now both the Bios and OS see the drive, the OS sees it as drive G:\ Primary active partition.

PROBLEM:

No matter if I disconnect both of the other 500GB Hard drives and then boot from the system repair disk or leave them both attached and boot from the system repair disk it still won;t copy the drive image to the new G;\ drive, which I assume should happen then make what is now the G;\ drive my C:\ drive and I should be able to then boot from that?

I also can't figure out how to restore the system image to the new G;\ drive while all three hard drives are connected and going through backup and restore?

I must be missing something because I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO F'ing ready to just throw the entire thing against my brick wall outside and watch it crumble into pieces! Something that "SHOULD" be so simple is causing me major problems?

At this point I have NO F'ING idea what to do next?

Oh and occasionally when I'm trying to run restore from the repair disk I made the system will crash like it does when trying to run chkdsk? The monitor goes dark, the blue light on the monitor goes to yellow and I can't see a thing? The PC keeps running, but I can't see anything. At this point if I push the hot boot button it won't start and then gives the three beeps from hell.

BUT:
If I let the thing boot normally from the C:\ drive that has problems and then bypass CHKDSK and let thing boot up normally after that I CAN use the hot boot button or reboot from startup? NO Idea what's causing that or if that might be part of my problem?

SO how the "F" do I get this stupid image onto what is now my G:\ drive and make that drive my C:\ drive that I can boot from?

All help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Related resources
July 14, 2012 4:19:19 PM

rolli59 said:
Get a drive cloning software and follow the instructions, I have used this in the past with success http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2...

Did that, looked like it was going to finally do the job and then it stopped saying the disk has errors, correct them then try again? DOH! If i could correct them then I wouldn't be here.

SO I'm still stuck, NOTHING seems to work? And now I think i screwed up what was working on that hard drive first thing this morning because it looked like restore was finally going to work, but I think it started overwriting the existing C: drive and screwed that one up too?

Now I'm on my shitty little laptop and still wondering how the hell do i get my system to image or now even how to i get my exisiting copy of retail windows ultimate on to my new hard drive? Something soooo easy has turned into a nightmare!

BTW does anyone know why a restore would stop as it's loading the windows files? All of a sudden the files are loading then the screen goes dark and the blue light on my monitor goes yellow, the PC is still on I just can't see anything? What could cause that to happen?
!