yamiseto

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
So... I know this question has been asked many times before, on various forums, but none of them got a clear answer that I am looking for.

Can I simply splice the ATX connectors from two IDENTICAL power supplies in parallel so as to share the load on the individual power supplies? Buying a more powerful power supply is out of the question.

I am well aware of the pin method, but that is not what I am looking for. I want to splice all the wires of one ATX connector to the other. I want to know what other people before I go ahead and fry my motherboard.

Solution
You could do that, but im not sure if the pins will fit back in the connector if they are double stuffed with wires. Why you are doing this to the ATX connector for them to share the load im not sure, the 24 pin connector doesnt provide a ton of power, its the 4/8 pin CPU connector and 6/8 pin PCI-E connectors you should be concerned about not the 20/24 pin main.

I would just jump their two green wires together so they start up together and then distribute the CPU and GPU loads between the two.
You could do that, but im not sure if the pins will fit back in the connector if they are double stuffed with wires. Why you are doing this to the ATX connector for them to share the load im not sure, the 24 pin connector doesnt provide a ton of power, its the 4/8 pin CPU connector and 6/8 pin PCI-E connectors you should be concerned about not the 20/24 pin main.

I would just jump their two green wires together so they start up together and then distribute the CPU and GPU loads between the two.

Solution

yamiseto

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Thanks for the quick answer. My PCI-E runs directly from my motherboard and doesn't have a separate connector for it. I am just wondering if this would work. I am not planning to use this setup yet.

yamiseto

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

No, that would defeat the purpose of the whole project. I don't simply want them to power on at the same time. I wouldn't be asking this question if that was the case, because for that I don't even need a connector. I want to have one motherboard being powered by two PSU's.