Armada 7800 wont boot

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

I am having a problem with an Armada 7800. When I apply power the
three LED's on the top come on ('A','arrow down',and '1'). The
speakers make a slight 'turn on noise'. Nothing else happens, no HDD
spinning, no display flicker, no POST beeps. When notebook power is
off the battery charging light DOES illuminate.

I already took it apart and removed the CMOS battery and the AUX
battery, as was suggested in the HP support forum, but to no avail.

Is the power supply bad? I did check the rectangular 5A fuse and it
was good.

Does this sound like a common problem, and if so, is it worth
repairing? Any suggestions are welcome please.

TIA,

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
11 answers Last reply
More about armada 7800 wont boot
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    G. Morgan <alarmproSNAIL@SNAILgmail.com> wrote in news:4194be80.141131716
    @graham.com:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am having a problem with an Armada 7800. When I apply power the
    > three LED's on the top come on ('A','arrow down',and '1'). The
    > speakers make a slight 'turn on noise'. Nothing else happens, no HDD
    > spinning, no display flicker, no POST beeps. When notebook power is
    > off the battery charging light DOES illuminate.
    >
    > I already took it apart and removed the CMOS battery and the AUX
    > battery, as was suggested in the HP support forum, but to no avail.
    >
    > Is the power supply bad? I did check the rectangular 5A fuse and it
    > was good.
    >
    > Does this sound like a common problem, and if so, is it worth
    > repairing? Any suggestions are welcome please.
    >
    > TIA,
    >

    > -Graham
    >
    > Remove the 'snails' from my email

    My mother in law has a Compaq laptop too. (I don't know the model, it has a
    166MHz MediaGX processor) and she ones had the same problem. I reseated the
    expansion memory (contactable through a shutter in the bottom), and it
    worked again.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > I am having a problem with an Armada 7800. When I apply power the
    > three LED's on the top come on ('A','arrow down',and '1'). The
    > speakers make a slight 'turn on noise'. Nothing else happens, no HDD
    > spinning, no display flicker, no POST beeps. When notebook power is
    > off the battery charging light DOES illuminate.

    Does indeed sound like memory, or possibly a powerboard (may not be a
    separate PCB though!). See my above posting on the dead Acer for some more
    general help.

    Darrn
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On 10 Oct 2004 11:36:27 GMT "Ingeborg"
    used 33 lines of text to write in newsgroup: uk.comp.sys.laptops

    >My mother in law has a Compaq laptop too. (I don't know the model, it has a
    >166MHz MediaGX processor) and she ones had the same problem. I reseated the
    >expansion memory (contactable through a shutter in the bottom), and it
    >worked again.

    I tried that, no go. :-(

    Thanks anyway.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:25:50 GMT "Darren Jarvis"
    used 13 lines of text to write in newsgroup: uk.comp.sys.laptops

    >Does indeed sound like memory, or possibly a powerboard (may not be a
    >separate PCB though!). See my above posting on the dead Acer for some more
    >general help.

    If it was memory wouldn't I get a POST error code? I'm getting no
    beeps at all. I took out the expansion memory, all that's left is the
    32M on board. I've seen a mobo on Ebay for about ~$50 I might try
    that, but I hate to buy something that won't fix the problem for sure.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > If it was memory wouldn't I get a POST error code? I'm getting no
    > beeps at all. I took out the expansion memory, all that's left is the
    > 32M on board. I've seen a mobo on Ebay for about ~$50 I might try
    > that, but I hate to buy something that won't fix the problem for sure.

    Not always and not usually on the ones I've seen (depends on how the onboard
    sound handles the PC beeper which is all the BIOS can manage). Have you
    tried cleaning the processor pins yet? The P4 machines I've worked on have
    been very problematic with bad connections on the socket and have sometimes
    needed several doses of contact cleaner (isopropyl alcohol may work as a
    substitute) and some gentle scrubbing with a nylon brush to make them go.

    Darren
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:36:15 GMT "Darren Jarvis"
    used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: comp.sys.laptops

    >Not always and not usually on the ones I've seen (depends on how the onboard
    >sound handles the PC beeper which is all the BIOS can manage). Have you
    >tried cleaning the processor pins yet?

    No, I did take the processor out and reseat it. I don't have any
    contact cleaner at the moment.

    I got this response from HP forums:

    "the first thing to try would be a BIOS-reset. No guarantee but it
    often does the job.
    If some wrong information got into the BIOS' ESCD (extended system
    configuration data) it may be cleard as follows:

    1.) Easy way: Fn+11
    - hold the Fn-key pressed,
    - switch on power,
    - continously tap on F11
    This will lead to the flashing LEDs, cycling on and off.

    Letting loose F11, the machine will boot again and show the BIOS
    error-msg "162 system options not set". Use F1 to save the setting.

    Caveat: All settings are set back to factory standard. You'll have to
    enter a correct date/time.

    2.) If the Fn+F11 trick won't help, follow the procedure explainded
    under 2.2 of the attached excerpt from the MSG.
    Pls note:
    a) The time of 5 minutes specified in the recipe is too short. Give it
    half an hour or so.
    b) Pls strictly keep to the sequence. Recinnecting power too early
    will spoli the process."

    I have tried that and still nothing. It sure was a pain in the ass
    taking this thing apart! I am out of ideas.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    ===> re posting question <===

    Update:

    This thing still won't boot. I had the CMOS battery and the AUX
    battery out for a week now. It's not the display either, I tried
    hooking it to a monitor.

    Any ideas?

    I am having a problem with an Armada 7800. When I apply power the
    three LED's on the top come on ('A','arrow down',and '1'). The
    speakers make a slight 'turn on noise'. Nothing else happens, no HDD
    spinning, no display flicker, no POST beeps. When notebook power is
    off the battery charging light DOES illuminate.

    I already took it apart and removed the CMOS battery and the AUX
    battery, as was suggested in the HP support forum, but to no avail.

    Is the power supply bad? I did check the rectangular 5A fuse and it
    was good.

    Does this sound like a common problem, and if so, is it worth
    repairing? Any suggestions are welcome please.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Hi Graham,

    You're removed the CMOS battery. I suggest you put in a new one.
    Some laptops won't start with a dead or no internal battery.

    Guy
    In article <417d2fbe.11160638@graham.com>, G. Morgan
    <alarmproSNAIL@SNAILgmail.com> wrote:

    > ===> re posting question <===
    >
    > Update:
    >
    > This thing still won't boot. I had the CMOS battery and the AUX
    > battery out for a week now. It's not the display either, I tried
    > hooking it to a monitor.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > I am having a problem with an Armada 7800. When I apply power the
    > three LED's on the top come on ('A','arrow down',and '1'). The
    > speakers make a slight 'turn on noise'. Nothing else happens, no HDD
    > spinning, no display flicker, no POST beeps. When notebook power is
    > off the battery charging light DOES illuminate.
    >
    > I already took it apart and removed the CMOS battery and the AUX
    > battery, as was suggested in the HP support forum, but to no avail.
    >
    > Is the power supply bad? I did check the rectangular 5A fuse and it
    > was good.
    >
    > Does this sound like a common problem, and if so, is it worth
    > repairing? Any suggestions are welcome please.
    >

    > -Graham
    >
    > Remove the 'snails' from my email
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:32:40 -0400 "NoOne"
    used 38 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Hi Graham,
    >
    >You're removed the CMOS battery. I suggest you put in a new one.
    >Some laptops won't start with a dead or no internal battery.

    I checked the voltage on it, and it reads 2.99V. Perhaps it does need
    to be a little higher than 3V. Thanks, I'll try that next.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Graham I have the same problem with the same model Armada (see Oct 30,
    2004 posting in comp.sys.laptops from Ken). I've tried the steps in
    the MSG, using fn+F11, pulling the CMOS battery and disconnecting the
    Aux battery. None worked because most of those solutions involve
    resetting a CMOS password that is prompted for, and that is also
    unknown by the user. I never get the prompt, just a blank screen as
    you have described What I did find is that after an undetermined
    period of time ( i.e > 1 Month & less than 5 months) with NO power on
    the MB (i.e Main Battery pulled), I was able to boot to the command
    prompt with a win98SE startup floppy disk. I ran scandisk on the HD
    and found that the HD has 7 meg in bad files. After being idle again,
    it started showing the original problem. I'm outta ideas as well,
    except i haven't tried replacing the cMOS battery as stated in message
    8 from NoOne. If so, maybe it takes time after a long "power down"
    and subsequent "power up" for the system to acknowledge that the cMOS
    battery is dead or dying and won't let the Armada run without a change
    out. That's what I'm trying next.
    If you find a definite answer, please post it on comp.sys.laptops,
    I'll be watching....and I'll do the same. I have an important project
    on mine and I do not want to do it over and there is a good chance
    that the data isn't damaged.

    Top Spin Ken (from Tennis)

    G. Morgan <alarmproSNAIL@SNAILgmail.com> wrote in message news:<4174173f.48527689@graham.com>...
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:36:15 GMT "Darren Jarvis"
    > used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: comp.sys.laptops
    >
    > >Not always and not usually on the ones I've seen (depends on how the onboard
    > >sound handles the PC beeper which is all the BIOS can manage). Have you
    > >tried cleaning the processor pins yet?
    >
    > No, I did take the processor out and reseat it. I don't have any
    > contact cleaner at the moment.
    >
    > I got this response from HP forums:
    >

    > "the first thing to try would be a BIOS-reset. No guarantee but it
    > often does the job.
    > If some wrong information got into the BIOS' ESCD (extended system
    > configuration data) it may be cleard as follows:
    >
    > 1.) Easy way: Fn+11
    > - hold the Fn-key pressed,
    > - switch on power,
    > - continously tap on F11
    > This will lead to the flashing LEDs, cycling on and off.
    >
    > Letting loose F11, the machine will boot again and show the BIOS
    > error-msg "162 system options not set". Use F1 to save the setting.
    >
    > Caveat: All settings are set back to factory standard. You'll have to
    > enter a correct date/time.
    >
    > 2.) If the Fn+F11 trick won't help, follow the procedure explainded
    > under 2.2 of the attached excerpt from the MSG.
    > Pls note:
    > a) The time of 5 minutes specified in the recipe is too short. Give it
    > half an hour or so.
    > b) Pls strictly keep to the sequence. Recinnecting power too early
    > will spoli the process."
    >
    > I have tried that and still nothing. It sure was a pain in the ass
    > taking this thing apart! I am out of ideas.
    >

    > -Graham
    >
    > Remove the 'snails' from my email

    On 31 Oct 2004 17:28:01 -0800 "Ken"
    used 74 lines of text to write in newsgroup: comp.sys.laptops

    >Graham I have the same problem with the same model Armada (see Oct 30,
    >2004 posting in comp.sys.laptops from Ken). I've tried the steps in
    >the MSG, using fn+F11, pulling the CMOS battery and disconnecting the
    >Aux battery. None worked because most of those solutions involve
    >resetting a CMOS password that is prompted for, and that is also
    >unknown by the user. I never get the prompt, just a blank screen as
    >you have described What I did find is that after an undetermined
    >period of time ( i.e > 1 Month & less than 5 months) with NO power on
    >the MB (i.e Main Battery pulled), I was able to boot to the command
    >prompt with a win98SE startup floppy disk. I ran scandisk on the HD
    >and found that the HD has 7 meg in bad files. After being idle again,
    >it started showing the original problem. I'm outta ideas as well,
    >except i haven't tried replacing the cMOS battery as stated in message
    >8 from NoOne. If so, maybe it takes time after a long "power down"
    >and subsequent "power up" for the system to acknowledge that the cMOS
    >battery is dead or dying and won't let the Armada run without a change
    >out. That's what I'm trying next.
    >If you find a definite answer, please post it on comp.sys.laptops,
    >I'll be watching....and I'll do the same. I have an important project
    >on mine and I do not want to do it over and there is a good chance
    >that the data isn't damaged.

    Hi Ken,

    I have not tried to get a new CMOS battery yet either.

    For your project on the laptop HDD you can probably get it off by
    using one of these:
    http://www.bay-wolf.com/hddadapter.htm

    It's an adapter that allows you to install your laptop HDD into your
    desktop. You can then move the project to your desktop drive.

    I'll keep you posted on what I find. If the new battery does not work
    I may just get a used MOBO off Ebay.

    Thanks,

    --
    -Graham