Change Default user

I have recently purchased a laptop 2nd hand, when I use cmd it shows the
previous users name. How can I change this? do I have to edit the registry
1 answer Last reply
More about change default user

    Daren wrote:
    > I have recently purchased a laptop 2nd hand, when I use cmd it shows the
    > previous users name. How can I change this? do I have to edit the registry

    With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
    but perhaps even if acquired from a family member, your wisest course
    of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh.
    You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may have
    filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the
    original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

    However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    it only during installation.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH