Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[radeon 5770] flickering on LCD TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2010 12:07:10 AM

hello everyone,
I bought this machine just a few weeks ago and I bumped into a small, but rather distracting problem. Here's the deal: whenever I play games the screen, or rather my TV(connected via HDMI) kinda flickers, no graphic distortion, It's like the backlight of the tv flickers. now, this doesn't occur on all the games I play. I've updated to the latest ati drivers, and I can assure you that my TV is not set on dynamic lighting or something that will alter the display. I played with the game's settings(torchlight, in this case.. well torchlight's menu doesn't really offer much. but starcraft 2 beta seems to have the same problem with my machine) but I got nothing, still the same problem.
I'm running on windows 7 x64 with 2xASUS5770 CuCore on crossfire

additional question: am I safe with only a 600w OCZ ModXStream powering intel i5, 2x 5770's, ASUS P7P55D mobo, and 4 gigs of ram?

April 24, 2010 8:59:38 AM

Two cards are going to require a little more power while running the rig on load. I'd suggest upgrading the PSU to something more like a 750Watt one.
You are safe but running the system under load takes 300 to 350 Watts just with 2 5770's
Plus the i5 is going to take another 400 to 500 Watts so the addition under load is going to be pretty heavy for the present PSU of 600 Watts.....

Practical usage says more, 600W can manage it, but barely.....

Reference
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-...

There's also a question of how many other peripherals have you got going in the rig which require how much power.

The flickering is usually just because of power outputs..... so I guess that seems the issue
Score
April 24, 2010 10:25:33 AM

^ It might well be a power problem but why is it that when I try to run the same game with the said "flickering" in window mode(same settings, resolutions, etc.) I dont get the "flickering" problem? that's kinda odd but I also believe that what you have said is true.
I hope my PSU's safety features kick in when it explodes, but I'm praying It wouldn't do that. Seeing as I wouldn't get a new one any time soon since it still new, I'm gonna try keeping away from games.
more answers are still welcome :) 
Score
Related resources
April 24, 2010 11:14:02 AM

It's not that you don't get the flickering, you do, but it's not that visible since it's windowed.
It's like looking at the monitor and then watching a recording of the same thing that you saw filmed on the monitor.
FPS for the eye and the shutter speed for the cams are different plus refresh rates add to it, So it's all just a optical game....
I guess
Score
April 24, 2010 4:14:13 PM

HD 5770 only tikes 105w under load u slould be fine with your PSU .Try runing just one card.I think it could be driver related,it's known crossfire issue.Wait for final 10.4 release and see if that helps.
Score
April 25, 2010 2:46:49 AM

^ yeah, I tried running on a single card and It stopped doing that. If it really is a crossfire/ driver issue the guys at ATI should fix it soon
edit: so I looked at their site and I noticed that they release drivers almost every month and the 10.3 is dated 3/24/2010 so the next one should be sooner than I expected
Score
April 25, 2010 2:39:10 PM

vertical777 said:
^ yeah, I tried running on a single card and It stopped doing that. If it really is a crossfire/ driver issue the guys at ATI should fix it soon
edit: so I looked at their site and I noticed that they release drivers almost every month and the 10.3 is dated 3/24/2010 so the next one should be sooner than I expected

Yep ,they famous for it.New drive should be out any day now.If u want to fill safe running crossfire you my want to upgrade PSU :
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Score
May 3, 2010 9:40:31 PM

Hi. Did you fix this issue? I have exactly the same problem with almost the same hardware. Get a light flickering of the screen on 2D bits of games, loading screen of Far Cry 2, titles in DIRT2 etc. In game it quickly disappears but returns on every switch back to 2D. Very annoying and very pronounced on some games. Would show you a video but it flickers slightly too fast for my camera to capture. Have the 10.4 drivers and no better! As soon as I disable crossfire the problem stops. Have tested each card as the primary one too!
Score
Anonymous
May 19, 2010 8:36:22 PM

the_angry_monkey said:
Hi. Did you fix this issue? I have exactly the same problem with almost the same hardware. Get a light flickering of the screen on 2D bits of games, loading screen of Far Cry 2, titles in DIRT2 etc. In game it quickly disappears but returns on every switch back to 2D. Very annoying and very pronounced on some games. Would show you a video but it flickers slightly too fast for my camera to capture. Have the 10.4 drivers and no better! As soon as I disable crossfire the problem stops. Have tested each card as the primary one too!

HAS ANYONE FIGURED THIS OUT??

I just got my second card and I also have literally the same issue. 2x Asus Cucore 5770's, Windows 7, 4GB DDR3 1600, AMD Athlon II triple core @ 3.0 ghz. I get the worst flickering in crysis warhead on my 47" HDTV. When I run it at 1680x1050 on my 22" LCD monitor I can barely notice it. I am only running a 550W PSU, but it is the OCZ fatality one and seems like it really should be sufficient. I am considering dual booting to XP-64 bit and seeing if those drivers are more perfected. Otherwise newegg may be getting a return.
Score
May 20, 2010 8:09:52 AM

Well, are you using a single bridge connector or are you using both the bridge connectors..... the cards say it is better to use both the bridges.....
Score
September 16, 2010 1:20:19 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I happen to suffer from the same problem, and though i have not fixed it (yet), i have found the cause, and a possible solution.
Story is, my father gave me his old Sony Bravia 32'', and I plugged it straight to my pc (running with 2x HD5770s) so I can enjoy games (had to buy a hdmi cable though). Oh the glory! Everything was smooth as butter.
3 days ago, I changed my cpu, from my old Amd 9500 2.2 Ghz to my new X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz. And that's where the problem began.
My "small" dvi-connected 22'' LG monitor runs fine, but when i connect the Bravia, I get the flickering.
Searched around the options enough, found out that it was the Catalyst A.I. that caused all the trouble. "What the heck, let's disable it", I imagine you thinking. There is a "but..." though, because disabling the A.I. disables the crossfire too, leaving me with 1 card to draw the images and 1 card just sitting there (lies, it uses it's gddr memory also).
Hating having to choose between my expensive xfire and the (more expensive, for my father at least) 32'' full hd glory of the Bravia, I decided to find a way to bypass the problem.
I came to the conclusion that it's something to do with 1. the hdmi signal 2. the Catalyst A.I and, 3. my new Cpu.
Or, if you rather like it, how the Catalyst A.I USES my cpu to provide the hdmi signal to my screen. I guess the damned code didn't have trouble with the timings of my old cpu.
Since I can't fiddle with the A.I., I will try to outsmart it and connect the Bravia using the dvi output of my gpu and a hdmi adaptor (logical asumption, since my LG with the dvi is fine, you see?). See if that does the trick.
So, if you are not using xfire, give it a shot and disable Catalyst A.I., maybe that works for you.
Cheers from Greece!
Score
September 16, 2010 1:49:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!