Venting on my Rig and Need Help for Cooling

gaming fanatic

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hi all and i would like to ask for some cooling tips for PCs,

Although i might used to be a extreme hardcore gamer lately i been busy and hardly had my PC on, but about few days ago i had my day off and played like 8 hrs straight of Runes of Magic of course on max settings i am a very advent gamer i game a lot in the past and learn a lot about PCs and programming but no matter i would still want to have some in-sides of cooling tips.

See my Problem is i come from a very Hot country,Singapore...it does rain sometimes most of the time is super hot especially my high raise flat is in middle of other flats blocking air flow so i don't have much cool air here and i live in the east here which is much less cooler then where my cousin lives in west and have very nice breezes at night i do have cold air here at night but no breezes though out the year.

i have tried to come to many conclusions of my new rig always having problems yet my friend in US, his rig is fine for like over 9 months 1 month after i bought mine he hasn't had a problem with it since but i kept having parts failing or overheating i would get blamed by my uncles and my mum saying i play too long when obviously trying to make a living out of my PC besides just gaming i also been off the PC a lot they just don't see it..

Firstly My Rig,

Intel i7 920 @ base 2.66Ghz
Asus P6T Delxue V2 (Died once after 4 months RMA it 2nd one still fine)
6GB (3 x 2GB) Cosair 1600Mhz Ram
OCZ PSU 700W (Just died a few days ago dunno how it died went "pop", currently under RMA 1-2weeks)
GTX260 Black Edition (Stressed test and while i bought my rig down for check it was also told it was going die soon with flickering and RMA takes 2-8 weeks OMFG!!)
and a V8 Cooler
and HAF 932 Casing

Also note on that day i didn't on the fan(not PC fan duh!) as there was house cleaning and that could very well increased the heat by a bit
But even with all these and having my rig on like 8-14hrs a day gaming or idling i don't see why it could overheat so easily
even my US friend seem to be in shocked he said it could have not made so much difference but whats more frustrating is that
they said my Graphics had to been sent back to manufacturer dunno in england or something and takes so freaking long.

Yes although i would take this as a break off my PC but i already played less of games since 4 months ago.
My US friend always said gaming rig like this should be able to withstand being on 24/7 as long i had a big fan blow inside the case
another of my friend who does PC repairs in Singapore my country suggested me having leave my case open both sides all the time.

So my Questions here are:

1. What do u think is the cause of having my rig died 2 times once the MB and once the PSU
2. Heat does kill my PC especially me living in a hot climate country however i cant afford air conditioning , name better ways to keep my rig cool
3. My friend who does computer repairs told me to lift at least 1 side of my casing and have all my fans in the casing blow only 1 side like say to left or right but that means my top fan i have to off it is it a good idea?? at all? he saids this way the hot air does not circulate, i agree however last time i checked my temps are fine could it be because of 4.
4. Do u think i am just plain unlucky that my parts died off especially seeing my US friend rig is almost same build as mine accept for the MB CPU chip and VGA.
5. Many ppl say Water Cooling is more for Over-clocking but ever since i got this new rig all i get are parts dying my previous normal desktop i used over 15hrs a day gaming never died so badly before and last at least nice 7 yrs, i only had to reformat and it becomes fine.

kennyparker1337

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
1. It could either be plain bad parts sent to you (trust me, plenty of other people have been sent multiple defective parts, it sucks). Or you're computer could be stressed to much, for long periods of time. OR :ange: it could be both.

2. A very effective way, and cheap, and might I say 'old' :na: cooling trick, is to remove your side panel and have a regular ole' BOX FAN blow right into it, or suck the hot air out of it...personaly I would choose to blow air INTO the case. :lol:
Thats so simple, but I mean jeez if you can't get your hands on a box fan...I dunno what could help you. (continued on #3)

3. If you don't want to try that, then you're gonna have stop using it for long periods of time if the temps are high, but honestly you should be fine if your CPU never goes above 60C and your GPU above 70C. :heink:

4. If it was me, and my temps we're fine...yes, I would blame it on defective parts. But thats gonna have to be a personal choice of yours based on the situation you have, and what YOU think is causingthe problem.

5. There are hardcore watercooling setups and cost mega $$$ that is used for overclocking, but really good clocks can be achieved on air cooling...and more to you're point, you can buy cheap watercoolers, but most experts agree that those won't cool much better than air units. But it might work out better for you, seeing how the watercooling wouldn't depend on your ambient temperatures...

Conclusion: I would chalk it up to defective parts, if it keeps breaking down in the future though, I would take a hard look at temps. And if can't keep your PC cool enough, try the box fan...and if you can't do that, you might wanna buy a cheap watercooling system AS A LAST RESORT.

Have fun! :bounce:

shovenose

Distinguished
Intel
i7 920 @ base 2.66Ghz
Asus P6T Delxue V2 (Died once after 4 months RMA it 2nd one still fine)
6GB (3 x 2GB) Cosair 1600Mhz Ram
OCZ PSU 700W (Just died a few days ago dunno how it died went "pop", currently under RMA 1-2weeks)
GTX260 Black Edition (Stressed test and while i bought my rig down for check it was also told it was going die soon with flickering and RMA takes 2-8 weeks OMFG!!)
and a V8 Cooler
and HAF 932 Casing

and you cant afford AC?

gaming fanatic

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Thx kennyparker1337 at least i don't feel alone as for shovenose yes i cant afford air con just because u can buy a PC doesn't mean u can afford everything is like saying hey u won lottery 1 million dollars why cant u buy a bungalow oh wait u cant afford it ! duh no u can buy one at 800k-1mil but then can u maintain it???!?! NO! because maybe u don't have a job lol! Some ppl squeeze what they have to get what they love, not everyone is rich like you think.