Identifying a 62W versus 81.5W amd 64 mobile processor via..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
October 10, 2004 3:50:30 AM

I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
(AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
similar processors.

Todd
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 10, 2004 11:16:06 AM

>I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
>(AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
>81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
>similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
>the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
>Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
>doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
>similar processors.
>
>Todd

The only way you will ever know is to read the numbers off the chip.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 10, 2004 6:01:12 PM

Will Sisoft Sandra help ?

"Todd" <jensen14@comcast.net> wrote ...
> I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
> (AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
> 81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
> similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
> the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
> Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
> doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
> similar processors.
>
> Todd
a b D Laptop
October 10, 2004 8:04:00 PM

For Intel chips, both Intel and 3rd parties have "CPU ID" programs that
will tell you what the chip really is (in fact "CPUID" is the name of
one of the 3rd party programs). Some of the 3rd party programs may not
be Intel specific, indeed may identify an AMD chip as well, and/or AMD
may have their own program.

Todd wrote:
> I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
> (AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
> 81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
> similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
> the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
> Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
> doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
> similar processors.
>
> Todd
October 11, 2004 3:13:00 PM

Thanks for all your help
Here is what some are saying at AMD forum
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=26786

Desktop-replacement(DTR) Mobile A64's have a 1.50V default
Vcore(CPU-voltage), just like their desktop cousins, whereas 62W
Mainstream Mobile Athlon 64's have a 1.40V default Vcore.

First, make sure you're running on AC-power, NOT battery.
Launch a CPUID-utility or other software-tool(CPUMSR will usually work
just fine for example) that can accurately report your current
VCore(CPU-voltage), then run a CPU-intensive application like a
Prime95 torture test to ensure your processor is running at its
maximum P-State, i.e. at full speed and voltage.

If your Vcore is at 1.50V, you have a DTR-part - if it is at 1.40V,
you have a 62W Mainstream part

QUOTE
I was wondering, do these two processors have the same family, ext
family, generation, ext generation, model and more importantly
stepping numbers?

Yes - they are using exactly the same 'Clawhammer'-core.

You cannot distinguish a 81.5W DTR from a 62W Mainstream part by its
CPUID - the default core-voltage and (as a result of the different
Vcore) max. power-consumption is the only difference between these
parts.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 11, 2004 4:57:08 PM

> I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
> (AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
> 81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
> similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
> the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
> Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
> doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
> similar processors.

Does this mean 62 Watt maximum heat?

A mobile CPU is only up to 30 Watt.

The area of the so called "mobile" CPU is 30 to 50 Watt

Beyond 50 Watt, it's a false declaration to call
anything a mobile CPU.

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization