walmarticus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Quick question. I know everyone always recommends Windows 7 OEM for homebuilt systems. Since I'm a student, I'm able to get the upgrade version of Windows 7 Professional significantly cheaper. Does anyone know if I can install the upgrade version on a homebuilt system, and save 40 bucks?

Wolfshadw

Titan
OEMs are full versions of the OS. They do not require a previous version of the OS to already be installed on the Hard Drive. Upgrades, on the other hand, do require a previous version of Windows Installed.

If you have a previous version of Windows available to you, You could install that version, purchase the cheaper upgrade, and then install the upgrade over the previous OS. A lot of work, but if it saves you $40, it might be worth it.

-Wolf sends

walmarticus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
How very clever if you. This matter appears much more complicated than one would hope, so does anyone have any experience in this matter? Has anyone installed an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a virgin hard drive? I'm a little dubious of regedit.exe and product key hocus-pocus.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Not trying to be a jerk...just trying to remain withing the bounds of the Toms Hardware Forum rules

I don't want to recommend you partake in anything that could be deemed as legally questionable