Noticeable benefits separating OS & program files onto two SSDs?

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I'm asking a quick question here before I go and reconfigure my primary machine- I have three alternate choices to make.

First, I can add the new 120gb Kingston V200 to my primary desktop, where I currently have Windows 7 along with my programs running from a 120gb Intel 330, and my files saved to a Caviar Blue HHD. I figure that allowing the computer to not channel both OS and program information through the same SATA II connection (yes, I know- it's a shame to waste money on a SATA 3Mbp/s system) will speed things up. I also assume that going from ~30gb of free space to ~90gb of free space on the OS drive will help.

Second, I can keep things as they are if there will be little/no benefit in speed on the primary machine, and use the Kingston SSD to breathe a bit of new life into my older Acer 4730z laptop that currently is gimping along until I get done building my desktop systems and can properly configure a new notebook sometime later this summer.

Lastly, I set it aside to be one of the non-OS drives for my current build, which is running a 180gb Intel 520 for the primary drive, and which I already planned on adding a 120gb SSD + 1tb HDD to regardless.

Thoughts? :hello:

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I wish i'd gone a bit larger and with a better primary drive than the 330 to start, but the kingston drive was picked up for $70 as amazons daily deal, so it was a case of price justifying figuring out the use when it got here.

I would run a single very large drive on my current project, except for the fear of cost and inconvenience when the drive eventually dies. Maybe I'm wrong in that thinking, but in any event I imagine performance will be near a wash so long as there is enough free space.