Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 16, 2011 4:13:38 PM

Last night I barely moved the HP PC while it was functioning, barely, and a few minutes later I found myself without internet. I'm actually not sure if it was that that did it or not, because I could have sworn the internet was still working after I moved the PC.

Be that as it may, the wireless network adapter, or the wireless part of the network adapter, seemed to have stopped working and wouldnt recognise any of the wireless in the air. I didnt try cable.

I was rummaging about for a solution when suddenly just before I switched Vista off, or just before I switched it off, the two monitors failed. All I was doing then was reinstalling the network adapter software, though I-m not sure how since I didnt have the CD, I was just telling it to look into my hard drive to see if it was to be found. so I really don-t think that could have been it.

I tried the integrated graphics card and that also wasn-t working, the monitors wouldnt recognise the PC.

The PC turns on, the PSU sounds fine, and for all I know it could be loading the OS, but I can no longer see anything. Does this look like a partial fail of the motherboard that randomly just increases to a full fail. Can the connections of the motherboard be failing in this way

And is it possible to extract the master hard drive off this PC and stick it in another HP like nothing ever happened

Thanks for any feedback, im desperate about all my stuff in the other pc right now... huge work set back...

More about : motherboard fail

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 16, 2011 5:07:57 PM

Next time to be safe connect everything with the system turned off; do the same as you check and reconnect everything. You may get lucky and get windows to load with a different board, but have the drivers ready just in case. You can download and burn a cd with the hp drivers of hp's website. You probably just have a loose connection somewhere.
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2011 5:24:26 PM

Sounds like a PSU that's possibly faulty (just because it turns on doesn't mean it's good), a failed motherboard, or a failed video / add-in card. It would take more diagnosing to further determine the exact part.

And you can hook the hard drive to another computer and normally boot it like nothing happened, if the machines are the exact same machine (same make/model motherboard). Windows might require re-activation, but it will usually boot and run fine.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 16, 2011 5:59:19 PM

Well my graphics card can't be because I connected to the integrated card and nothing would show. Also that wouldnt explain why the network adapter suddenly stopped working.

Loose connection? Hmm, that sounds difficult to find, especially on a BTX, where the mobo is very difficult to look at.

The graphics card was new and the specs said it could run in a 300W...

What drivers would i be looking for in the HP website? the mobo's drivers?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 16, 2011 7:24:16 PM

o1die said:
You probably just have a loose connection somewhere.

nicely pointed out, it was indeed loose connections of the pci cards of both... these btx cases have to be put lying down to put stuff in and not sideways like i did...
!