NVidia Control Panel detects my HDTV as SD only

BlackAce

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hello,

I've got one of those frustrating, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't problems.

I have a BFG Tech 7800 GT video card connected to my Samsung CRT HDTV (1080) through the provided dongle and a standard component cable.

Sometimes I can get the nVidia Control Panel to see the TV as an HDTV, providing me with the 1920x1080 resolution. But other times, it will ONLY show SD options, 480i and below. Usually this can be corrected by simply toggling the TV connection on and off a few times until the nVidia control panel, or Windows 7 "Screen Resolution" window. I'm not sure why this gets it to work, but has worked pretty reliably in the past.

But tonight, I've been trying and toggling and unplugging and reconnecting, and pounding my head on the desk for the better part of 2 hours, and I can ONLY get nvidia to detect the TV as SD.

Save me from myself and tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Unfortunatly component is an analog connection, so whether it detects your CRT is iffy at best, my opinion. Also a CRT doesn't actually do 1080p, CRT uses interlaced no progressive scanning of the signal. so your more likely getting the resolution but the TV has to interlace the signal, which might be screwing with your card. Not sure whether your using 32 or 64 bit OS but here's the 32-bit drivers of this month.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_197.45_whql.html