liveloveshare

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I've been researching this computer building thing for a good couple of weeks now and think I've pretty much settled on some products...

But then I was using this site's price shopper and it threw up TigerDirect.com

My question is fairly simple.. all along everyone has had good things to say about Newegg, seems like their customer service, etc. One of the intimidating things is seeing in the negative reviews of even the best products are defects, malfunctioning, and plain DOA products.

How is TigerDirect going to treat me in that regard. I'll knock on wood in hopes that everything arrives functional and in good condition--but what if not?

Have any of you had positive/negative experiences? Their website just seems a little more... uh.. what's the word. Sketchy? In comparison to newegg.. I dunno. Thoughts?

Oh ya, and the tax things. TigerDirect won't charge me tax. At $2000 that's a saving of almost $200 bucks. I'm in CA--am I suppose to claim that when I do my taxes and pay it back then? Sorry for the non-organization of this thread.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Solution
Everything seems sketchy compared to Newegg. Newegg has the better reputation, and generally better prices. Newegg also has literally the best website design out of all component retailers.

I wouldn't be deterred by reviews mentioning defects and such. Every company and every product have faults. They can be minimized, but they can't be eliminated. In no way is this the fault of Newegg or any other retailer (assuming proper shipping).

I don't think you'll have a problem with TigerDirect. I think they mostly just suffer from competing with a company that's better established.

If you're really worried, check out Tiger's (and any other retailer's) reports on the Better Business Bureau's website (bbb.org). That's the formal place...
Everything seems sketchy compared to Newegg. Newegg has the better reputation, and generally better prices. Newegg also has literally the best website design out of all component retailers.

I wouldn't be deterred by reviews mentioning defects and such. Every company and every product have faults. They can be minimized, but they can't be eliminated. In no way is this the fault of Newegg or any other retailer (assuming proper shipping).

I don't think you'll have a problem with TigerDirect. I think they mostly just suffer from competing with a company that's better established.

If you're really worried, check out Tiger's (and any other retailer's) reports on the Better Business Bureau's website (bbb.org). That's the formal place you go to compain about companies. It will show you what specific problems you should be worried about.

EDIT: A bump after 40 minutes? Really?

Solution

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Tiger Direct is legit, its like comparing a Costco to Best Buy, ya Costco doesnt look as nice, but it gets the job done. If your items dont work, they have manufacture warranties so tigerdirect might not be who you deal with. I bought a barebones kit from them a few months back and was very pleased. As far as not paying tax, its because Internet Sites are only obligated to charge sales tax to people that live in a state in which the company has a physical address. So if the company is stationed in Maryland only people from Maryland pay sales tax. So no, you dont need to claim it to make up for it.

OK. So TigerDirect has improved their warranty service over the past few years.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If they are going to compete with the egg, they have to do better.

My biggest complaint with TD is that they will feature a system with a whizbang CPU, and excessively mediocre supporting components.

liveloveshare

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Ah. Excellent.. thanks for the feedback everybody. I feel more confident.

I see that TigerDirect doesn't have some of the same products that newegg has, like the Samsung Spinpoint hard drives..

I'll probably end up doing a half an half order.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Systemax is better-established than Newegg, I used to buy things from GlobalPC back in the 1990's. TigerDirect is just a newer face on a very old company.

foxmulder13

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I bought my stuff for new build from Tigerdirect instead of from New Egg because I live IN NJ and NewEgg chrages sales tax and most items had shipping fee !! Tigerdirect did not charge sales tax and everything had free shipping ! Also Amazon is great too!