Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Flash drive is connected, but it's not showing up in "My Computer"

Last response: in Storage
July 14, 2012 12:56:38 PM

My business partner (located in France) sent me a USB drive, the usb Flash drive is now connected, but it's not showing up.

I can hear the sound when plugging it in, but the icon won't show under "My Computer"

I did a little research and tried Start > Computer > Right click > Manage > Disk management The flash drive doesn't show up
I tried different USB ports already

Control panel > device and printers shows the USB flash drive icon but i can only update its drive or look at the properties

Windows 7 home edition
USB Flash Drive: Elements 1023

hope i can get some help, i need to work on the files that are located on that drive

Thank you!
a b G Storage
July 14, 2012 1:05:50 PM

Have u tried to update the driver?
m
l
July 14, 2012 1:09:48 PM

Sometimes you need to assign drive letter under disk management, but if the drive itself doesn't show up then it's something else.

Your partner use Mac ?

Do you have other PC to test the flash drive ?
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 3:44:01 PM

rdc85 said:
Have u tried to update the driver?

I tried that already :( 

duhduh_13 said:
Sometimes you need to assign drive letter under disk management, but if the drive itself doesn't show up then it's something else.

Your partner use Mac ?

Do you have other PC to test the flash drive ?

My Partner does use a Mac!

I won't be able to test the flash drive on another PC until Monday
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 14, 2012 3:54:47 PM

oh if your partner uses a mac he has probably formatted the drive with the mac file system which is not readable by default in windows.

You can try HFSexplorer http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html
July 15, 2012 11:58:27 AM

nhasian said:
oh if your partner uses a mac he has probably formatted the drive with the mac file system which is not readable by default in windows.

You can try HFSexplorer http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

you are the best, thank you!
I have all day to work on this now!

thank you thank you thanks! :bounce:  :hello: 
m
l
July 15, 2012 11:59:13 AM

Best answer selected by melinda_31.
m
l
October 18, 2012 2:15:59 AM

i try update the driver but.,.their is no,., different still thesame./. what happen??
m
l
March 18, 2013 1:25:29 PM

melinda_31 said:
My business partner (located in France) sent me a USB drive, the usb Flash drive is now connected, but it's not showing up.

I can hear the sound when plugging it in, but the icon won't show under "My Computer"

I did a little research and tried Start > Computer > Right click > Manage > Disk management The flash drive doesn't show up
I tried different USB ports already

Control panel > device and printers shows the USB flash drive icon but i can only update its drive or look at the properties

Windows 7 home edition
USB Flash Drive: Elements 1023

hope i can get some help, i need to work on the files that are located on that drive

Thank you!

I have the same problem. The sound when plugged in and it even displays when clicking on "Safely Remove hardware", but nothing in "My Computer"
The flash drive works using Ubuntu on the same PC
m
l
!