What do I do with my ASUS P8P67 Pro?

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hey guys. Building my system with the components you see listed below. I just bought the ASUS P8P67 Pro about a month ago and I swear 2 weeks later I was notified about the recall. :eek: My question is this: with the ASUS P8P67 Pro Recall I'm wondering if I should send my mobo back and get a new one for my system, or just wait until April when everythings fixed. If I wait I'd have to use the sata ports that arent screwed up obviously--and I wont be able to hook up all of my components which include the dvd burner, SSD, and HDD if I do this. What do you guys think? If you think I should get a new mobo, what's as good or better than the ASUS P8P67 Pro for my build?

CPU: i7 2600K
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU: GTX 460 1 GB
RAM: 8GB (2*4 GB G skill DDR3 1600 Mhz)
PSU: Corsair TX750
Cooler: Hyper 212+
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB (7200rpm) for storage
SSD: Vertex2 60 GB (bootup)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full tower

Solution
the Asus P8P67 Pro has 4 unaffected SATA III 6gb/s ports and you only have 3 SATA devices. There are 2 6 Gb/s ports on the Marvell controller that should not be used with the optical drive and 2 6Gb/s ports with the actual intel controller that are not affected that you can use with your optical drive. You can also use the affected SATA II 3 Gb/s ports with your optical drive as their is no risk of data corruption on the off chance those ports do go bad.
I say wait for the replacement board because the Sandy Bridge is still faster than the i7 950.

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Because in the recall notification I received something is wrong with several SATA ports on my current mobo (ASUS P8P67 Pro) so they recommend not using them and only using a couple of SATA ports only. This limits how much hardware I can hook up to the mobo. I can wait until April until the problem is fixed or just send back the SB mobo and the cpu and get a different comparable cpu/mobo. I dont know if there are any other SB mobo's I can use with the i7 2600K that arent all fubar'd up, havent gone searching around for one.

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I have the same ASUS P8P67 Pro and I just moved my two SATA connectors to the 6G ports. I am actually planning on keeping it and not RMAing it since it works fine for me and I see no reason to dismantle my system just because the 3G ports "might" fail after 3 years.

If you are generally happy with the ASUS P8P67 Pro, you can keep the optical drive on the 3G ports and put your HDDs on the 6G ports, you will be fine, you have two Intel and two Marvel 6G ports that you can use. And if you want to RMA the motherboard, you can have ASUS send you a new motherboard (requires a credit card) in advance and then swap them the same day rather than wait or buy a different motherboard.

l2p_iwin

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
If I am not mistaking the p67 pro has 4 sata III ports that are unaffected. So If you are only using a ssd, hdd and a dvd burner. You will be fine. The ports that are affected are the sata II. I would say go ahead and build it and when the new mobos are restocked, RMA the board or keep it if you don’t plan on using more than 4 sata ports. You not going to get a better value/performance with another set up.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
the Asus P8P67 Pro has 4 unaffected SATA III 6gb/s ports and you only have 3 SATA devices. There are 2 6 Gb/s ports on the Marvell controller that should not be used with the optical drive and 2 6Gb/s ports with the actual intel controller that are not affected that you can use with your optical drive. You can also use the affected SATA II 3 Gb/s ports with your optical drive as their is no risk of data corruption on the off chance those ports do go bad.
I say wait for the replacement board because the Sandy Bridge is still faster than the i7 950.

Solution
Use two Marvell SATA III 6Gbps ports for your SDD and platter hard drive.

Use one Intel SATA III 6Gbps port for your optical drive.

Enjoy your system until April when the new fixed boards come out. RMA it when they are available. You won't regret it, as Sandy Bridge kicks butt and takes names in pretty much every category.

I think you misunderstood the recall. It's for all P67 motherboards, not just Asus. So they have all been taken off the market.

xxundertowxx

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi, I have the P8P67Pro aswell and while playing crysis 2 I hit a point where it lagged really bad and then pc crashed. After troubleshooting for a while I switched everything over to the 6gbs ports and all is well... with the exception that it fried one of my HDD's. Is there any known fix for this or am I left having to RMA it? I really didn't want to have to dismantle my system but I kinda need at least one more port. :\