Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mixing nVidia GPU with ATI Mobo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2010 5:28:37 AM

EDIT: The motherboard is working great. Thanks for the comments.

I having been googling for about a week to find a definitive answer to this question. I have seen other posts on this forum talking about it but they give a very mixed response.

I bought a GTS250 a couple of months ago but I now want to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and ram. I was looking for a good, cheap nvidia mobo with AM3 and DDR3 until I found out there aren't any or if there are they are out of my price range. I know that the latest nvidia mobo design apparently is meant to support all of these but the only good one I found is the Asus M4N82 Deluxe but that doesn't have DDR3 support. I can't find that much information if the DDR2 - DDR3 performance/price ratio is better, but assuming that is, this Asus Motherboard does not have what I want BUT ATI motherboards do.

I don't plan to use SLI and from what I read, ATI motherboards may support Nvidia but there could be performance penalties or incompatibility.

I haven't chosen any specific ATI board yet but I would want one under the AU$200 (~US$180). I will get an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE and 4GB of DDR3 ram.

I am asking here as I have had previous graphics card / motherboard compatibility issues in the past and I don't want to have more in the future. (9800GT was incompatible with current motherboard)

I could switch to an intel board but the price of a good CPU is too high.

So the question is, will my GTS250 work on a ATI motherboard NOT using SLI?
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
April 24, 2010 6:46:46 AM

I don't know where you have heard that putting a single Nvidia card to an ATI motherboard could give a performance penalty but its not true because you can use a single Nvidia card on an ATI chipset without a problem and vice-versa.(So you can use your GTS 250 on an ATI motherboard)
Also if your 9800GT had compatibility problems,it doesn't mean others will be the same :) 
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2010 8:49:21 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Take a look at these just to give you a comparison of AM3 that costs $35 and $50.
I realize you can't order from Newegg but I'm sending you these to show you AM3 motherboards are not expensive.

Those are very good prices there. Most of the prices in Australia are $150+ depending on where you shop or what features they have but for the Asus M4N82 Deluxe, I was quoted over $250.
m
l
April 24, 2010 12:14:41 PM

shadow187 said:
Here is an extremely good motherboard in your budget;
http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/67346_ASRock_890GX_Ex...

Looks like a great motherboard but my question still remains. Will my card work (GTS250) in an ATI motherboard? If anyone has done so with this graphics card, please post a reply with what motherboard they used.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
April 24, 2010 12:25:29 PM

It will work just fine.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
April 24, 2010 1:10:52 PM

smart_monkey said:
Looks like a great motherboard but my question still remains. Will my card work (GTS250) in an ATI motherboard? If anyone has done so with this graphics card, please post a reply with what motherboard they used.

Read my first reply
"I don't know where you have heard that putting a single Nvidia card to an ATI motherboard could give a performance penalty but its not true because you can use a single Nvidia card on an ATI chipset without a problem and vice-versa.(So you can use your GTS 250 on an ATI motherboard)
Also if your 9800GT had compatibility problems,it doesn't mean others will be the same "
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2010 1:20:45 PM

I agree with Maz, yes you can use an ATI card in an Nvidia motherboard
and vice-versa with no ill side effects just fine.
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:30:52 PM

Maziar said:
Read my first reply
"I don't know where you have heard that putting a single Nvidia card to an ATI motherboard could give a performance penalty but its not true because you can use a single Nvidia card on an ATI chipset without a problem and vice-versa.(So you can use your GTS 250 on an ATI motherboard)
Also if your 9800GT had compatibility problems,it doesn't mean others will be the same "

I did read your first reply, the more people that agree with it the better off I am and the better off the dozens of other people searching for the same thing. I know one thing, you can rarely be 100% certain about compatibility.

I will probably go with one of the motherboards suggested above then.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2010 3:05:41 PM

smart_monkey said:
I did read your first reply, the more people that agree with it the better off I am and the better off the dozens of other people searching for the same thing. I know one thing, you can rarely be 100% certain about compatibility.

You probably read something like this but it doesn't affect the new system you are building.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati-gpu-d...

Nvidia and ATI – longtime rivals who do not play nice together. Although having both ATI and Nvidia hardware inside a PC is unlikely, there's now clear evidence trouble happens when you put the two together.

m
l

Best solution

a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
April 24, 2010 3:27:46 PM

smart_monkey said:

Actually i am 100% certain about it ,as i said if you had problems in the past it doesn't mean its not compatible.
I have tested a HD 48702X2 on a ASUS Maximus Formula(X38) and i had it for 3 years running(before my PSU was damaged).
You can ask for others recommendations as well but they'll have the same idea :) 
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2010 3:29:06 PM

Yeah i have never had any conflicts nor heard of any when mixing
video cards in different mobo,s.
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:45:24 AM

Best answer selected by smart_monkey.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
April 25, 2010 7:23:03 AM

That would be a good combination,enjoy it ;) 
m
l
!