Mixing nVidia GPU with ATI Mobo

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
EDIT: The motherboard is working great. Thanks for the comments.

I having been googling for about a week to find a definitive answer to this question. I have seen other posts on this forum talking about it but they give a very mixed response.

I bought a GTS250 a couple of months ago but I now want to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and ram. I was looking for a good, cheap nvidia mobo with AM3 and DDR3 until I found out there aren't any or if there are they are out of my price range. I know that the latest nvidia mobo design apparently is meant to support all of these but the only good one I found is the Asus M4N82 Deluxe but that doesn't have DDR3 support. I can't find that much information if the DDR2 - DDR3 performance/price ratio is better, but assuming that is, this Asus Motherboard does not have what I want BUT ATI motherboards do.

I don't plan to use SLI and from what I read, ATI motherboards may support Nvidia but there could be performance penalties or incompatibility.

I haven't chosen any specific ATI board yet but I would want one under the AU$200 (~US$180). I will get an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE and 4GB of DDR3 ram.

I am asking here as I have had previous graphics card / motherboard compatibility issues in the past and I don't want to have more in the future. (9800GT was incompatible with current motherboard)

I could switch to an intel board but the price of a good CPU is too high.

So the question is, will my GTS250 work on a ATI motherboard NOT using SLI?

Solution

Actually i am 100% certain about it ,as i said if you had problems in the past it doesn't mean its not compatible.
I have tested a HD 48702X2 on a ASUS Maximus Formula(X38) and i had it for 3 years running(before my PSU was damaged).
You can ask for others recommendations as well but they'll have the same idea :)
I don't know where you have heard that putting a single Nvidia card to an ATI motherboard could give a performance penalty but its not true because you can use a single Nvidia card on an ATI chipset without a problem and vice-versa.(So you can use your GTS 250 on an ATI motherboard)
Also if your 9800GT had compatibility problems,it doesn't mean others will be the same :)

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Those are very good prices there. Most of the prices in Australia are $150+ depending on where you shop or what features they have but for the Asus M4N82 Deluxe, I was quoted over $250.

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Looks like a great motherboard but my question still remains. Will my card work (GTS250) in an ATI motherboard? If anyone has done so with this graphics card, please post a reply with what motherboard they used.

Read my first reply
"I don't know where you have heard that putting a single Nvidia card to an ATI motherboard could give a performance penalty but its not true because you can use a single Nvidia card on an ATI chipset without a problem and vice-versa.(So you can use your GTS 250 on an ATI motherboard)
Also if your 9800GT had compatibility problems,it doesn't mean others will be the same "

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

I did read your first reply, the more people that agree with it the better off I am and the better off the dozens of other people searching for the same thing. I know one thing, you can rarely be 100% certain about compatibility.

I will probably go with one of the motherboards suggested above then.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

You probably read something like this but it doesn't affect the new system you are building.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati-gpu-disable,8742.html

Nvidia and ATI – longtime rivals who do not play nice together. Although having both ATI and Nvidia hardware inside a PC is unlikely, there's now clear evidence trouble happens when you put the two together.

Actually i am 100% certain about it ,as i said if you had problems in the past it doesn't mean its not compatible.
I have tested a HD 48702X2 on a ASUS Maximus Formula(X38) and i had it for 3 years running(before my PSU was damaged).
You can ask for others recommendations as well but they'll have the same idea :)

Solution