• Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Games
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 30, 2010 1:13:06 PM

Hello!

Recently I've been playing some more recent PC games and my computer will auto-shut down for a few seconds and then restart. (As if there has been a blackout.) I am thinking that it is my PSU because the machine I bought only came with a 400w PSU but all the other parts are decent.

Specifically I have the Velocity Micro Edge MX230

Core i5
Nvidia GTX260
6gb ram DDR-1333
7200RPM 1TB HDD
DVD+-RW

(I think those are the main parts to look at for calculating what kinda PSU you'd need.)
I'm not too computer saavy but I don't want to ruin my computer over a low PSU ><;;
Please help :]
(If I do need a new PSU some recommendations would also be appreciated!)

Also, I find my GPU will run around 70*C ish whenever I play more recent games, is that too hot?

Thank you!

More about : psu

a c 139 ) Power supply
July 30, 2010 1:17:21 PM

Can you look inside that Velocity Micro Edge MX230 case and get the actual make and model of the PSU?
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
July 30, 2010 1:26:55 PM

EVGA recommends a 500W power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp. This is a recommendation to cover a wide range of system configurations, not a hard & fast rule.
We should be able to compare your PSU power output and see how close you are to meeting that 36amp +12V suggestion.

That GTX 260 comes installed in that Velocity Micro Edge MX230 with the 400W PSU correct? I don't think Velocity Micro would have messed up so badly that it didn't include a PSU that isn't up to powering your whole system adequately.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 30, 2010 3:25:16 PM

wats ur 12v amp rating. check the side of ur psu. it should have it stated.
also what is ur i5 model.

nonetheless, trying to run a gtx260 on 400w is insane. x260 is n 182w card, meaning it will need 15 just to feed the gpu from its 12v. if u have a dual 12v rail, then u need atleast 18amp in second rail.....if u have single rail psu, then 30+amp. either ways i don see a 400w psu having that much amp
m
l
!