Does my Motherboard support my SSD at 6gb/sec?

cdyshack14

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hello,

I recently purchased and installed a Samsung 830 128GB SSD (and it is great, thank you, community, for the advice).

Now I need to know if my motherboard can handle/support the 6gb/sec.

Motherboard:

Dell - 0GDG8Y
Bios: A04 (11/21/2011)

Thank you very much in advance for your input. It is very much appreciated.

- Sean

Solution

Siince I couldn't find any verification that the Dell you have has SATA III, I had to go to another Dell that has that same motherboard. From what I found, it is only a SATA II. I presume yours is too. SATA III is usually intended for more hi-end systems, not so much the general home PCs.

You could download and run the free pgm SiSoftSandra and have it examine your system. Under "Mainboard' it will show your disk controllers and what SATA mode they are capable of.
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?d=&f=downandbuy&l=en&a=
Get the lite version if you want the free one.

cdyshack14

Honorable
May 10, 2012
My comp details (CPU-Z):

Intel Core i5 2320
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit SP1 (Build 7601)

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 4 Cores - 4 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2), EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX
CPUID : 6.A.7 / Extended : 6.2A
CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 32 / 4 x 32 KB - L2 : 4 x 256 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 6144 KB
Core : Sandy Bridge (32 nm) / Stepping : D2
Freq : 1596.57 MHz (99.79 * 16)

MB Brand : Dell
MB Model : 0GDG8Y
NB : Intel Sandy Bridge rev 09
SB : Intel H61 rev B3

GPU Type : AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 665.3 MHz (1:5) @ 9-9-9-24
Slot 1 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Samsung
Slot 2 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Samsung

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Siince I couldn't find any verification that the Dell you have has SATA III, I had to go to another Dell that has that same motherboard. From what I found, it is only a SATA II. I presume yours is too. SATA III is usually intended for more hi-end systems, not so much the general home PCs.

You could download and run the free pgm SiSoftSandra and have it examine your system. Under "Mainboard' it will show your disk controllers and what SATA mode they are capable of.
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?d=&f=downandbuy&l=en&a=
Get the lite version if you want the free one.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Btw, as you are probably already aware, you can still use the SATA III SDD on your SATA II system (if it indeed turns out to be SATA II). It will just operate at somewhat below its rated speed. Still, it will be a major improvement over mechanical HDDs. Good luck, and enjoy your faster response.

cdyshack14

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I know, thank you. It is MUCH faster, and running quite smoothly. I have also looked into the IDE and AHCI issue. I cannot alter that in my Bios (effing Dell...)

But I've read that it defaults to AHCI, is that true? (I only ask, because you seem to be very kind and helpful, and I've gotten mixed answers online)

My device manager does not state either explicitly...

cdyshack14

Honorable
May 10, 2012
System Configuration

Onboard Audio Controller — Enabled or Disabled (Enabled by default)
Onboard LAN Controller — Enabled or Disabled (Enabled by default)
Onboard LAN Boot ROM — Enabled or Disabled (Disabled by default)

*******SATA Mode — AHCI; RAID (AHCI by default)******

This Explains why its in ATA Mode and it cannot be changed.
USB Controller — Enabled or Disabled (Enabled by default)
USB Storage Boot Function — Enabled or Disabled (Enabled by default)
Onboard Card Reader — Enabled or Disabled (Enabled by default)
Onboard Serial Port — Enabled or Disabled (Enabled by default)
Serial Port IO Address/IRQ — 3F8h/IRQ4; 2F8h/IRQ3; 3E8h/IRQ4; 2E8h/IRQ3 (3F8h/IRQ4 by default)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Oh. I thought you were referring to your SSD somehow defaulting your systemto ACHI. Yes, it is possible the chipset on the motherboard Dell chose is set to ACHI as default. If that's the case, you will have ACHI's advantages. But I'm surprised that the BIOS doesn't allow a way to change the controller back to IDE mode for some neeeds. For example...

I have a motherboard that needs the optical drive's SATA port set to IDE mode, or else it won't be able to be used as the first boot device for some reason. Fortunately for me, the board has not only Intel SATA ports, but a 3rd party SATA controller as well. So, I was able to keep my Intel ports ACHI and make the 3rd party controller's ports IDE.

Did you ever run that info pgm I linked to see what it reports?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You may want to run this benchmark pgm for your SSD. http://downloads.guru3d.com/AS-SSD-Benchmark-download-2569.html Unfortuately, it is in German. But 'Lesen' is READ and 'Schreiben' is WRITE. Another thing to improve speed is to be sure to use the latest Intel RST driver.
Here is my results when I had my SSD in use as C: Drive...
ssdbenchinteldriver.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Not bad, just not as good as it could be with SATA 3. AHCI is mainly about improved features. I don't think there's any speed differnce related to AHCI. Be sure to use the IRST driver I mentioned (10.6 or later). It will increase your speed over the MS driver it loads by default.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm/

Here's the difference before I used the latest IRST driver; when I was using the MS default driver:
ssdbenchmsdriver.jpg

cdyshack14

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Dell just said this:

4:40:23 PM Agent Amit_222814
Please give me 2 to 3 minutes to research on the issue.

4:45:53 PM Agent Amit_222814
Thank you for staying online. I appreciate your patience and apologize for the delay.

4:46:23 PM Agent Amit_222814
Sean, as I have checked the system board supports AHCI and it is enabled by default.

4:50:13 PM Customer Sean Brennan
I ran a benchmark and it said IDE