Solved

Is it possible to use a SSD as OS drive AND cache?

Hello, people! I've been reading a lot of stuff because I'd like to build a new computer and I was going for a SSD (Crucial M4 256GB) for the OS and a HD for storage (WD Black 2TB) but after reading that some people use a SSD for cache with IRST I was thinking if it would be possible to create a partition in the SSD leaving a 192 GB for OS and programs, and a 64 GB partition for ISRT cache. Of course I'm no expert or have much clue about building computers so I don't know if I'm speaking nonsense. Thanks for your help!!!
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about drive cache
  1. Best answer
    if you're going to run the OS off the SSD then you have no need of ISRT. the whole point of ISRT is to use a cheap SSD (let's say 16GB) entirely as cache to speed up the OS as it runs off a mechanical HDD. it's a way of getting near SSD performance without having to spend tons on a sizable SSD.
  2. Branden said:
    if you're going to run the OS off the SSD then you have no need of ISRT. the whole point of ISRT is to use a cheap SSD (let's say 16GB) entirely as cache to speed up the OS as it runs off a mechanical HDD. it's a way of getting near SSD performance without having to spend tons on a sizable SSD.

Thanks for answering Branden!!! Just to make it clear, are there no benefits from running the OS in a SSD and running the cache using ISRT? Or there are some but not worth the effort because they are minimal?
  3. Best answer selected by omonroy234.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Cache Storage