Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it possible to use a SSD as OS drive AND cache?

Last response: in Storage
July 14, 2012 8:43:06 PM

Hello, people! I've been reading a lot of stuff because I'd like to build a new computer and I was going for a SSD (Crucial M4 256GB) for the OS and a HD for storage (WD Black 2TB) but after reading that some people use a SSD for cache with IRST I was thinking if it would be possible to create a partition in the SSD leaving a 192 GB for OS and programs, and a 64 GB partition for ISRT cache. Of course I'm no expert or have much clue about building computers so I don't know if I'm speaking nonsense. Thanks for your help!!!

More about : ssd drive cache

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 14, 2012 10:31:39 PM

if you're going to run the OS off the SSD then you have no need of ISRT. the whole point of ISRT is to use a cheap SSD (let's say 16GB) entirely as cache to speed up the OS as it runs off a mechanical HDD. it's a way of getting near SSD performance without having to spend tons on a sizable SSD.
July 22, 2012 2:12:32 AM

Branden said:
if you're going to run the OS off the SSD then you have no need of ISRT. the whole point of ISRT is to use a cheap SSD (let's say 16GB) entirely as cache to speed up the OS as it runs off a mechanical HDD. it's a way of getting near SSD performance without having to spend tons on a sizable SSD.

Thanks for answering Branden!!! Just to make it clear, are there no benefits from running the OS in a SSD and running the cache using ISRT? Or there are some but not worth the effort because they are minimal?
m
l
July 29, 2012 4:57:47 PM

Best answer selected by omonroy234.
m
l
!