Sensor cleaning

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 12, 2004 12:44:20 PM

I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few months,
but yesterday I took some pictures of my wife putting up our Christmas tree.
I used a small aperture and the background wall is a plain colour - I was
absolutely horrified by what I saw, the camera is completely unusable. I
wish this was a binaries group so I could show you all just how bad the
problem is - YUK!!

Anyway, now I must clean the sensor and I really don't want to send my
camera away for this to be done so I've decided to give it a go myself. I've
read about the DIY methods using PecPads and also about the special fibre
brushes that can be bought for this job. Before I take the plunge, I'd like
to hear the experiences of others who've done this. What materials have you
used (I am in the UK so any pointers on how to buy the materials would be
helpful)? How successful were you (especially if your sensor was extremely
dirty)? Overall, would I be better off sending the camera away to Canon or
is it OK to do this myself? Has anybody actually made the situation worse by
doing it themselves? Is it possible to completely clean my sensor of all
dust and dirt - remember, there are literally hundreds of specks?

Thanks.

More about : sensor cleaning

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:51:21 PM

"embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few
> months,

You can always upload a picture to freespace and link to it.

As for cleaning, try a blower first. You need a powerful one but it does
work quite well.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
December 12, 2004 1:03:52 PM

"RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote in message
> "embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few
>> months,
>

> You can always upload a picture to freespace and link to it.
>
> As for cleaning, try a blower first. You need a powerful one but it does
> work quite well.
> --
> For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
Thanks - I'll look for some free space - you really will cringe when you see
how dirty these pictures are!! I've used a bulb blower and in the past it
has worked OK but it just won't touch this amount of mess. By the way,
what's your interest in Welsh Military Flying? I live in Wales, was born in
Cardiff and I LOVE watching military planes!
December 12, 2004 1:44:37 PM

embee wrote:
> "RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote in message
>> "embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few
>>> months,
>>

>> You can always upload a picture to freespace and link to it.
>>
>> As for cleaning, try a blower first. You need a powerful one but it
>> does work quite well.
>> --
>> For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
> Thanks - I'll look for some free space - you really will cringe when
> you see how dirty these pictures are!! I've used a bulb blower and in
> the past it has worked OK but it just won't touch this amount of
> mess.

The amount is a non-issue. If it will work on a little, it will work on
a lot. I suggest you give it a try.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:52:50 PM

PecPads and Eclipse solution are available from Robert White:
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/digital.htm#Labeldclean

I've used this stuff with a home made spatula device (a modified Bob the
Builder plastic knife!!) and after a couple of applications all dirt is
removed.

It does require a steady hand and a lot of bottle but you should be fine.
Once you're set up it should only take 10-15 mins.

Good luck!!

Graham.

------------------------------
Graham Russell Photography - www.grahamrussell.info
ProSportPhotos - www.prosportphotos.com

"embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few
> months, but yesterday I took some pictures of my wife putting up our
> Christmas tree. I used a small aperture and the background wall is a plain
> colour - I was absolutely horrified by what I saw, the camera is
> completely unusable. I wish this was a binaries group so I could show you
> all just how bad the problem is - YUK!!
>
> Anyway, now I must clean the sensor and I really don't want to send my
> camera away for this to be done so I've decided to give it a go myself.
> I've read about the DIY methods using PecPads and also about the special
> fibre brushes that can be bought for this job. Before I take the plunge,
> I'd like to hear the experiences of others who've done this. What
> materials have you used (I am in the UK so any pointers on how to buy the
> materials would be helpful)? How successful were you (especially if your
> sensor was extremely dirty)? Overall, would I be better off sending the
> camera away to Canon or is it OK to do this myself? Has anybody actually
> made the situation worse by doing it themselves? Is it possible to
> completely clean my sensor of all dust and dirt - remember, there are
> literally hundreds of specks?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:14:03 PM

>By the way, what's your interest in Welsh Military Flying? I live in Wales,
>was born in Cardiff and I LOVE watching military planes!

Same as you - watching and photographing military aircraft - and Wales is
about the best place in the UK to do it.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
December 12, 2004 2:28:14 PM

embee wrote:

> I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few months,
> but yesterday I took some pictures of my wife putting up our Christmas tree.
> I used a small aperture and the background wall is a plain colour - I was
> absolutely horrified by what I saw, the camera is completely unusable. I
> wish this was a binaries group so I could show you all just how bad the
> problem is - YUK!!

I could probably show you worse :-)

I use Photosol's sensor swabs and eclipse fluid. They're pricy, but I've
only had to clean my sensor 3 times in the last 14 months.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:39:11 PM

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p iVud.62154$MG3.14494@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> embee wrote:
> > "RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote in message
> >> "embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>

> >> You can always upload a picture to freespace and link to it.
> >>
> >> As for cleaning, try a blower first. You need a powerful one but it
> >> does work quite well.
> >> --
> >> For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
> > Thanks - I'll look for some free space - you really will cringe when
> > you see how dirty these pictures are!! I've used a bulb blower and in
> > the past it has worked OK but it just won't touch this amount of
> > mess.
>
> The amount is a non-issue. If it will work on a little, it will work
on
> a lot. I suggest you give it a try.
>

> > By the way, what's your interest in Welsh Military Flying? I
> > live in Wales, was born in Cardiff and I LOVE watching military
> > planes!
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I did - it made virtually no difference - but thanks for the advice :-)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:41:07 PM

> "embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> >By the way, what's your interest in Welsh Military Flying? I live in
Wales,
> >was born in Cardiff and I LOVE watching military planes!
>

> Same as you - watching and photographing military aircraft - and Wales is
> about the best place in the UK to do it.
> --
> For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

True. I once had the opportunity to spend a week on board HMS Invincible
while it was in the Gulf (I work as a journalist) and how I wish I'd had an
SLR (somehow, my old film point and shoot didnt quite cut it, although I did
get a few keepers!)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:28:53 PM

Archived from "embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> on Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:44:20
-0000:

>I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few months,
>but yesterday I took some pictures of my wife putting up our Christmas tree.
>I used a small aperture and the background wall is a plain colour - I was
>absolutely horrified by what I saw, the camera is completely unusable. I
>wish this was a binaries group so I could show you all just how bad the
>problem is - YUK!!

I routinely use Eclipse solution and swabs quite successfully on my Nikon
gear. Your other option is not to take photos of your wife. ;-> Cheers.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 6:12:28 PM

>From: "embee" noot67@yahoo.co.uk

>wish this was a binaries group so I could show you all just how bad the
>problem is - YUK!!

You mean, like this?
http://www.pbase.com/image/37403533
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 6:12:29 PM

Annika1980 wrote:

> >From: "embee" noot67@yahoo.co.uk

> >wish this was a binaries group so I could show you all just how bad the
> >problem is - YUK!!
>
> You mean, like this?
> http://www.pbase.com/image/37403533

salt spray?
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:19:30 PM

>From: "embee" noot67@yahoo.co.uk

>I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few months,
>but yesterday I took some pictures of my wife putting up our Christmas tree.
>I used a small aperture and the background wall is a plain colour - I was
>absolutely horrified by what I saw, the camera is completely unusable.

You can still use it at wide open apertures :)

>I've decided to give it a go myself. I've
>read about the DIY methods using PecPads and also about the special fibre
>brushes that can be bought for this job. Before I take the plunge, I'd like
>to hear the experiences of others who've done this. What materials have you
>used

Pec pads with Eclipse work fine for me. That seems to be what most people are
using.

>How successful were you (especially if your sensor was extremely
>dirty)?

I always take two passes, sometimes three or even four ... the main problems
are in the corners so I sometimes hit the corners from each direction.
Eventually you get it all (or almost all ...)

>Overall, would I be better off sending the camera away to Canon or
>is it OK to do this myself?

Learn how to do it yourself ... I've heard of people sending the body off to
Canon or Nikon and getting it back in two weeks as bad or even worse than when
they sent it. You have to learn to do this yourself, sorry.

>Has anybody actually made the situation worse by
>doing it themselves?

You can scratch the cover or you can use too much fluid and have it seep under
the filter, two things that will definitely ruin your day. A few people have
done this, it seems.

>Is it possible to completely clean my sensor of all
>dust and dirt - remember, there are literally hundreds of specks?

Yes ... sounds like a four pass job to me :)

Here are the key sites for info on various solutions, from Pec pads with custom
spatulas (I use the Copper Hill one) to the new static brush, which sounds
wonderful but I haven't tried it yet ...

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
http://www.birdsasart.com/bn134.htm (for the build-your-own spatula crowd)

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/visible-dust.... (sounds great,
anyone tried it?)
http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/

The 10D isn't too bad (we clean ours every few months it seems), but the bodies
with the larger sensors are terrible ... I have to clean the 1Ds (full frame)
every few days whenever it's used in the field, unfortunately. You get used to
it ...

Bill
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:49:31 PM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From: "embee" noot67@yahoo.co.uk

> >wish this was a binaries group so I could show you all just how bad the
> >problem is - YUK!!
>
> You mean, like this?
> http://www.pbase.com/image/37403533

That's very mild compared to what I am getting!
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:32:46 PM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message
SNIP
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/visible-dust....
> (sounds great, anyone tried it?)

Yes, it works. I've yet to gain experience with the "Copperhill"
method, so I can't judge the relative effectiveness yet. I thought it
wiser to start with the potentially least abrasive method. Most of the
"factory installed" dust is gone, just a few tougher spots are still
in their original position, so I'll tackle them when they get
noticably annoying.

Bart
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:45:27 PM

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message
> SNIP
>
>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/visible-dust....
>>(sounds great, anyone tried it?)
>

> Yes, it works. I've yet to gain experience with the "Copperhill"
> method, so I can't judge the relative effectiveness yet. I thought it
> wiser to start with the potentially least abrasive method.

I'm using the Sensor Brush from Visible Dust for the same reason. So
far it has been quick, easy and effective.

Phil
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 2:48:38 AM

embee wrote:
> Before I take the plunge, I'd like to hear the experiences of others
> who've done this. What materials have you used (I am in the UK so any
> pointers on how to buy the materials would be helpful)?

PecPads + Eclipse + a cut down plastic spatula.
As per: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

> How successful were you (especially if your sensor was extremely dirty)?

At the first attempt, not very. :-)

My camera had dirt on the sensor from new. I put up with it (and
occasionally tried a blower bulb) for almost a year. When I did
decide enough was enough it was very bad indeed. Anything over
about F10 was dodgy.

The first attempt shifted some of the gunk. Moved the rest around.
Second a little more. Perfectly clean after the third (or was it
fourth?) go and it has stayed fairly clean for the several thousand
frames taken since.

I try to be careful changing lenses and find it does help.

It is a bit time consuming and fiddly but I didn't find the job
all that hard to do. Mind you, if someone hamfisted has knackered
their camera they aren't very likely to confess...

> Overall, would I be better off sending the camera away to Canon
> or is it OK to do this myself?

I wouldn't and I gather it is possible for the camera to come back
more dirty than it was when it went away. In the end though you'll
have to make your own decision and take any consequences.

> Has anybody actually made the situation worse by
> doing it themselves?

I've heard it suggested that using compressed air or a very strong
blower can shift dirt to underneath the antialias filter and that
would definitely result in a back-to-Canon job...

> Is it possible to completely clean my sensor of all
> dust and dirt - remember, there are literally hundreds of specks?

Yes - though probably not first go (safer to take it gently too).

Good luck,

Rob.
--
December 13, 2004 2:48:39 AM

How about Optex MiniPro or LensePen?
Looks like a fountain pen. Good for lenses and, I suppose sensor cleaning.
Marcel

"Rob Davison" <rdavison@xxttrraa.ccoo.nnzz> wrote in message
> embee wrote:
> > Before I take the plunge, I'd like to hear the experiences of others
> > who've done this. What materials have you used (I am in the UK so any
> > pointers on how to buy the materials would be helpful)?
>
> PecPads + Eclipse + a cut down plastic spatula.
> As per: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
>
> > How successful were you (especially if your sensor was extremely dirty)?
>
> At the first attempt, not very. :-)
>
> My camera had dirt on the sensor from new. I put up with it (and
> occasionally tried a blower bulb) for almost a year. When I did
> decide enough was enough it was very bad indeed. Anything over
> about F10 was dodgy.
>
> The first attempt shifted some of the gunk. Moved the rest around.
> Second a little more. Perfectly clean after the third (or was it
> fourth?) go and it has stayed fairly clean for the several thousand
> frames taken since.
>
> I try to be careful changing lenses and find it does help.
>
> It is a bit time consuming and fiddly but I didn't find the job
> all that hard to do. Mind you, if someone hamfisted has knackered
> their camera they aren't very likely to confess...
>
> > Overall, would I be better off sending the camera away to Canon
> > or is it OK to do this myself?
>
> I wouldn't and I gather it is possible for the camera to come back
> more dirty than it was when it went away. In the end though you'll
> have to make your own decision and take any consequences.
>
> > Has anybody actually made the situation worse by
> > doing it themselves?
>
> I've heard it suggested that using compressed air or a very strong
> blower can shift dirt to underneath the antialias filter and that
> would definitely result in a back-to-Canon job...
>
> > Is it possible to completely clean my sensor of all
> > dust and dirt - remember, there are literally hundreds of specks?
>
> Yes - though probably not first go (safer to take it gently too).
>
> Good luck,
>

> Rob.
December 13, 2004 8:01:52 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:02:47 +0000, Eolake Stobblehouse
<eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote:

>The best I have heard of:
>
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/visible-dust....
>
>http://visibledust.com
>
>I have bought their brushes myself, but haven't used them yet. They
>have very, very, very fine hair.
>
>--
>- Eolake

Thanks - I've placed an order for a set of brushes from Visible Dust
along with some sensor clean and chamber clean!
December 14, 2004 12:50:42 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:28:14 -0600, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
wrote:

>I use Photosol's sensor swabs and eclipse fluid. They're pricy, but I've
>only had to clean my sensor 3 times in the last 14 months.

Hi,
Just curious about how people are purchasing Eclipse fluid? B&H told me
they can't ship it ... it's close to 100% methanol I believe and
therefore can't be sent via air. There isn't a store in my town that
stocks Eclipse, so I would have to order it from somewhere that ships
ground (in the U.S.). At least I'm hoping it can be shipped ground. Any
recommendations as to where to order it from?

Thanks,

Jeff
-----
My Humble Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/jkseidel
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:50:43 AM

JeffS wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:28:14 -0600, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
> wrote:
>
> >I use Photosol's sensor swabs and eclipse fluid. They're pricy, but I've
> >only had to clean my sensor 3 times in the last 14 months.
>
> Hi,
> Just curious about how people are purchasing Eclipse fluid? B&H told me
> they can't ship it ... it's close to 100% methanol I believe and
> therefore can't be sent via air. There isn't a store in my town that
> stocks Eclipse, so I would have to order it from somewhere that ships
> ground (in the U.S.). At least I'm hoping it can be shipped ground. Any
> recommendations as to where to order it from?

calumetphoto.com. My local store sells and ships ups ground, I never
asked about any other service.

> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
> -----
> My Humble Galleries:
> http://www.pbase.com/jkseidel
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:29:04 AM

JeffS asks:

>Just curious about how people are purchasing Eclipse fluid? B&H told me
>they can't ship it ... it's close to 100% methanol I believe and
>therefore can't be sent via air. There isn't a store in my town that
>stocks Eclipse, so I would have to order it from somewhere that ships
>ground (in the U.S.). At least I'm hoping it can be shipped ground. Any
>recommendations as to where to order it from?

I got mine from Adorama. Never heard word one about a shipping problem.

Charlie Self
"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
December 14, 2004 8:43:24 AM

On 13 Dec 2004 22:29:04 GMT, charliediy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

>I got mine from Adorama. Never heard word one about a shipping problem.

Thank you for the information. Here is the page from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

The following is what made me concerned:

"Availability: In Stock
Note!
Due to shipping regulations, we cannot ship this item at this time. It
can only be bought in our store."

Best Wishes & Happy Holidays!

Jeff

-----
My Humble Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/jkseidel
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:04:09 PM

Archived from "embee" <noot67@yahoo.co.uk> on Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:44:20
-0000:
>Is it possible to completely clean my sensor of all
>dust and dirt - remember, there are literally hundreds of specks?

Try here for more info. http://www.photosol.com/index.htm According to
these folks Pec pads are not recommended for sensor cleaning as they are
made from a different material than is used for swabs.

vm
!