Which processor is better for gaming?

AquaDan12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I've been researching around and still am wondering which processor to get. I want a processor mainly for gaming, music, etc. I don't do very much of anything else on there. I've looked at these two processors.

1) Intel Core 2 Duo e8400

or

2) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

I was leaning toward the Quad but when I started researching, the Duos seemed better for gaming, but the quad might be a better investment for the long run....maybe....
Basically, which one is better for gaming? I play games like Oblivion, Medieval II: Total War, Neverwinter Nights 2, Spore, Empire Earth...you get the picture on what I play.

For you're games and out of the 2 cpu's you've selected, i would say the core 2 duo.

Although, Do you already have a Motherboard for either 1 of these cpus? if not i would recommend looking at the core i3's as the core 2's are a dieing cpu as we speak.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000343&IsNodeId=1&Description=core%20i3&name=Processors%20-%20Desktops

Choice is up to you but if you have the motherboard already for the core 2 cpu's than i would chose the core 2 duo.

Currently, the E8400 would be better. But as more and more software starts supporting the quads, things should change.

If you are not upgrading an existing Core2 platform, you would be better off in the long run upgrading to an i5 or AMD 955.

Did I just recommend AMD? :eek:

Timop

Distinguished
Are you upgrading?
If you're buying a new Mobo, look for AM3/1156.

For most older games, the E8400 will perform better due to the more L2 per core and higher clock speed, those games barely use more than 2 cores.

raiyus13

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
games don't efficiently need more than 2 -3 cores,but new upcoming games are starting to use more cores, it depends what you play.
If I were you, I would definitely go for the Quad and and overclock it with a good cooler. It would tally with the performance on single-threaded apps of the e8400 and would totally destroy the duo in multi-threaded apps.....