Sign in with
Your question

AMD 1055t in Nvidia (XFX) 750a SLI

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2010 11:00:16 PM

I recently bought an AMD 1055t for my computer and I know it is AM3 and the board I'm using is AM2+ so I know their compatible. Doing some research around most places I saw said I needed a BIOS upgrade so I did so. I put in my CPU and nothing. So I switched back to my old one and did more research. I contacted XFX and they said their latest BIOS revision was created a few months before my processor was created and that the revision did not upgrade for the AM3 socket.

Is there any other way to get this processor to work on this particular board without having to wait for their BIOS upgrade. (I did ask them if they were planning on releasing one but they haven't got back to me with an answer yet). I'm really putting off getting a new motherboard but if it is the only solution I have one ready.

Any answers would be appreciated

Thank You!
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2010 11:06:36 PM

If the motherboard BIOS doesn't support your CPU then that's the end of the discussion. You'll have to either wait to see if XFX releases a new BIOS (not likely for an AM2+ board) or get a new board.
m
l
May 27, 2010 11:24:26 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
If the motherboard BIOS doesn't support your CPU then that's the end of the discussion. You'll have to either wait to see if XFX releases a new BIOS (not likely for an AM2+ board) or get a new board.

A bit disappointing. So I have to return/sell my current one and look for a AM2+ one? at least I'll get back like $100
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
May 27, 2010 11:42:32 PM

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/NVI...

There is your CPU support list, your board doesnt support any CPU over 95W. I agree with shortstuff, your best option is to replace your board and CPU, it will give you better upgrade options down the line and support the 1055T
m
l
May 28, 2010 1:10:53 AM

I was looking into is and it like $250 all together for equivalent ram in DDR3 and the mobo and even with the (very generous) $130 I would make selling my old mobo and ram on ebay it is still like $120 which is a bit on the steep side when I have a much cheaper choice. Is it really worth the investment?

Edit: I thought I should explain my circumstances for why I think this.

I am currently a second year high school student (young I know) and I have been working as an apprentice to a photographer to make money to build my computer. I mainly do simple 1080p video editing and the occasional visual graphics with some Photoshop here and there. I think a lower end quad core AMD would easily suffice. But the most important thing. I'm going to college in 2 years and I don't plan on bringing my computer with me and my parents really don't do anything but surf the web so I don't think spending all this money for 2 years of very high end is a good idea if then I go off to college for 4 years and come back finding out my whole setup is obsolete. I'd rather save the money to totally rebuild the computer after I come back from college (if I'm even still interested that far ahead from now) [huge run on sentence]

I think I'm going to end up selling my 6 core and buying a quad core UNLESS you guys think it would not suffice for smooth 1080p editing, some visuals and the occasional Photoshop.

Thank You!
m
l
May 28, 2010 2:29:49 AM

(just jumping into this thread agreeing with what everyone else said about selling mobo + ram and upgrading)

an amd quad core with a high(ish) clock speed and good cooling coupled with a good gpu is more than enough for "light" video editing and photoshop-ing

now, i don't mean to belittle your work at all when i call it "light" but unless you're encoding for hours on end then there really is no need for a hex-core (and if you are encoding for hours on end i'd recommend you get a nvidia quadro fx 1800 or above before you upgraded the cpu past four cores)

just my two cents

just for clarification, i'm not a video or photo edit(er) but I instead do hours of work with CAD design so i'm assuming the demands are similar... correct me if i'm wrong
m
l
May 28, 2010 2:42:13 AM

ryanhmusic said:
(just jumping into this thread agreeing with what everyone else said about selling mobo + ram and upgrading)

an amd quad core with a high(ish) clock speed and good cooling coupled with a good gpu is more than enough for "light" video editing and photoshop-ing

now, i don't mean to belittle your work at all when i call it "light" but unless you're encoding for hours on end then there really is no need for a hex-core (and if you are encoding for hours on end i'd recommend you get a nvidia quadro fx 1800 or above before you upgraded the cpu past four cores)

just my two cents

just for clarification, i'm not a video or photo edit(er) but I instead do hours of work with CAD design so i'm assuming the demands are similar... correct me if i'm wrong

My father is actually an engineer and works with CAD operators all the time and I've seen their computers and they seem very good for video editing. Multiple cores to spread rendering load around and fast clock speed for smooth scrubbing.

Thank you.
m
l
!