Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2011 11:56:22 PM

Hello,
I recently built a new Intel system. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0. I'm running an i7-950 with 12GB of RAM and a Sapphire 6870 video card. I installed one Crucial C300 64GB SSD and one 1TB WD Caviar Black drive (64mb cache). I set the BIOS to AHCI on the SATA3 6GB/s controller and proceeded to install Windows 7 on the SSD. Everything seemed fine. Got the drive up. Installed the motherboard drivers, then the video card drivers and then installed antivirus software. I connected to the internet and I thought everything was great. I proceeded to install the WD drive on the other port and used it as a data drive. I started installing programs and transferring files and started running into some serious issues. First, the system starting becoming unstable freezing randomly and slowing down unexpectedly. Second, I noticed that the drives are being recognized as IDE drives and not SATA drives. Finally, the SATA3 RAID configuration utility in the BIOS doesn't work properly. Am I doing something wrong here?
a c 715 V Motherboard
February 17, 2011 12:35:50 AM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

There are a few possibilities, and I've seen this problem before.
1. Update your BIOS to the latest version. Use the Q-Flash procedure with FAT-32 Flash drive, in Q-Flash it shows ups a 'HDD', arrow to it and press enter to select the BIOS file.
2. Use only the drivers on Gigabyte's site and not the DVD http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3... and reinstall all of the most current drivers.
3. Verify that your C300 has the latest Firmware and install it. - http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx More than likely, you 'may' need to reinstall Windows.
4. Use the following ports:
BIOS:
AHCI
SATA2_0-1 {blank}
SATA2_2-3 HDD

IDE
SATA2_4 DVD {you do not what your DVD under AHCI}

AHCI
GSATA3_6 C300 ; Marvell use the C300 by itself.
February 17, 2011 10:44:48 PM

I have the latest BIOS on the board (FE). I flashed that when I got it as the new revision added greater flexibility for RAID's. However, the SATA3 RAID (Marvell) doesn't even come up anymore. Just flashes to a black screen and back to the BIOS. So you would suggest not adding the SSD to the 6 GB/s?
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
February 17, 2011 11:24:41 PM

I assume that you're using the GSATA3_6 port which is the closest to the MOBO, and it's Enabled and set to AHCI in the BIOS. By default it's Enabled & IDE. I believe GSATA3_7 is not a bootable port.

edit: The Marvell SATA only show-up in the boot screen and or if you access the Marvell controller using Ctrl + M; hold the Ctrl and keep hitting the M key.
February 20, 2011 1:13:59 AM

Yeah, it's very odd. When trying to access it from the BIOS directly it doesn't go to the RAID setup anymore. I will try the Ctrl+M and see if it works. Thanks.
a c 715 V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 1:32:39 PM

I also assume that the boot order hasn't been changed and the C300 is in the first position. Also, do not use any of the Gigabyte utilities except the USB on/off; they cause too many problems.

Next, if the mode change back and forth this causes a conflict between the BIOS and the OS. See -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
!