Ssd says ide in boot tab of bios

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Just bought an ssd and I accidently installed as ide so I did a reinstall and this set my sata configuration yo ahci. My concern is that in the boot menu it still comes up [IDE:Samsung SSD 830], now why is that? Also I just bought 2 2TB wd blacks (had discouts and promo codes free shipping got lucky) and I want to raid them. Now when i switched my sata configuriation to ahci the sata configuration for every port changed. I only changed ports 1-3 to ahci but 4-6 changed too. Ive never done a raid array before and I was planning on a raid zero. My mobo is Asus m4a88td-v evo, I noticed I can change porta 4-6 without 1-3 being changed too. My main conern is will I be able to raid them?

Solution
^ If He can only select raid for all SATA III ports then he will Lose TRIM cmd for the SSD.

I use to use RAID0 on ALL of my systems, I no Longer Do.

Raid0:
.. Improves sequencial read/ write performance. This is the least important parameter for OS and program load. It is important when working with LARGE data files such as large complex spreedshees, cad/cam drawings, or editing a lot of large Bitmap Photos, or working with large HD video formates.
.. Does Nothing for access time and VERY little improvement for the More important 4 K random file read/writes.
.. WD blacks are not recommended for raid0. Need High end drives.
.. Bottom line, unless you have a specific need for High sequencial performance, skip raid0

Added: download...

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
I plugged into the Blue Sata 6Gb/s port(s), I actually haven't plugged in the WDs, only the Samsung SSD, its in like port 4 of the Blue Satas. Would this work moving the SSD to Port 1 and leaving it in AHCI then putting the two WDs into port 4 & 5 and putting them in raid 0?

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Raid 0 is boost in porformance, so I want to do it, my mobo supports it. I don't do CAD or audio production more for mass storage. I don't see how that matters though; I just want to know if my SSD is set to ide to ahci and if I can raid the WDs still

dingo07

Distinguished
In your BIOS you have to set the Storage Mode to RAID. It has nothing to do with which SATA port you connect to on the MB. (at least this is how it's done on most motherboards)
Once you set that, youll be able to enter the RAID storage manager during POST to set up the RAID Array. Then while in widows you must configure the Array into a Volume and format it.

^ If He can only select raid for all SATA III ports then he will Lose TRIM cmd for the SSD.

I use to use RAID0 on ALL of my systems, I no Longer Do.

Raid0:
.. Improves sequencial read/ write performance. This is the least important parameter for OS and program load. It is important when working with LARGE data files such as large complex spreedshees, cad/cam drawings, or editing a lot of large Bitmap Photos, or working with large HD video formates.
.. Does Nothing for access time and VERY little improvement for the More important 4 K random file read/writes.
.. WD blacks are not recommended for raid0. Need High end drives.
.. Bottom line, unless you have a specific need for High sequencial performance, skip raid0

Added: download and run as ssd (do not need to run the benchmark). Look at upper left, if driver is pcide, then need to fix.

Solution
Seems that there have been some posts on Tom's that indicated the WD consummer drives were not suited for raid0 and that the WD RE drives should be used.
However I found this on WDs website ( Which counters what I said)
WD desktop hard drives (WD Blue, Green, or Black) have been tested and are recommended for consumer RAID applications when using the drives in a RAID 0 (Stripe) or RAID 1 (Mirror) configuration.
Quote.

I have used the Blacks in raid0 (the older 640 gig drives). Based on the reliability of the "green" and "blue" modes - No way would I use them in a raid0 config.