janpwnz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi, I just finished a build with the following:
i7 950
asus sabertooth x58
6gb kingston hyperx khx1600c9d3k3
xfx 5850 1gb
cosair 800w silent pro gold (i had to returned a pcpower mkII silenct pro 750w because it went doa on me)

The configuration of the sockets for rams are
A2A1 B2B1 C2C1

the recommended for tri-channel operation is as follow from the guide by asus
A1 B1 C1

I can't seem to get a full read of 6gb ram. I then tried many methods from warming up the systems for 5 minutes to changing arrangement of rams. I have also tried to down the voltage to 1.35 and nothing change. I tried each ram into A1 and the system was never able to boot. Then i tried to put B1 and C1 and it was able to boot but i only got a 2gb read. Then i put the rams into B1B2 and C1 and then i got a 4gb read. How come my A and C couldn't read the ram at all? I am getting the new bios tomorrow to see if it will fix the problem. I have taken out the cpu and tried to use naked eye to check if there's any bent pin (not any that i saw). I took out the stock cooler and reattach it to make sure it wasn't too tight. Are there anything else i should try other then flashing the bios? any suggestion?

christop

Distinguished
I had the same problem. What I did was install the ram boot it then hit mem ok button beside your last slot. The computer rebooted and it worked. Mine was showinf 2 gig then after I used the mem ok 6 gig showed up.

janpwnz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Nothing works.. i flashed the BIOs and i reattach the cpu aswell.. now cpu-z shows 6gb but windows only read 4gb (I have 2x2gb in the b slots because that's the only way to get 4gb out of it) i have use propyl alcohol to cleaned to reattach the ram.. sighhh T_T i think i am just gonna rma

ref - http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp
Assuming the KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX 1600 MHz 9-9-9-27-2T @ 1.65v

If you have a 32-bit version of Windows then 4GB is the MAX.

BIOS:
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 MHz
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 27
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.25~1.35 ; leave on Auto, set if failure
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.64v ; before increasing >1.64v increase QPI/DRAM Core Voltage; failure 1.66v~1.68v

Use the following DIMM Slots:
DDR3_GA.jpg

^Try the above settings. Failure clean the DIMM Slots: use Isopropyl alcohol, dampen the RAM contacts, insert damp, remove & clean, repeat then allow to dry ~5minutes.

Possibilities:
1. Insufficient voltage going to ALL the DIMM slots; see above BIOS settings.
2. Production Oils on the DIMM slots.
3. Bent CPU Pins
4. Bad MOBO

If you can get, one at a time every RAM stick to work, then RMA the MOBO. Failed stick(s) RMA the RAM.

Q - Is the CPU {rear} mounting plate mental or plastic?
If its metal then there needs to be some plastic washer. Meaning you don't want direct contact of Metal + MOBO.

To rule-out some oddball short: unscrew all of the MOBO and PCI screws, pull the MOBO away from any contact of standoffs or I/O shield, and dangle supported by a towel.

janpwnz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
i rma the board as the 30 days return soon to be expired in a few days.. i got the new board this morning, going to put everything back together tonight after wrk.. wish me luck :D