Concerning Windows 7 installation on SSD with Intel SRT

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Windows 7
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2012 6:12:36 AM

Hello good people of Tomshardware. I'll get straight to the question. I plan on using SRT in conjunction with a 1T HDD and a 60g SSD. I know that installing Windows to the SSD will yield faster results than installing Windows to the HDD and using the full 60g SSD as a cache. However, is it possible to install Windows to the SSD and give the remaining space to SRT to use with the HDD for everyday stuff? My thoughts on this would that I'll have Windows running on the full speed of the SSD and all my other programs running at near-SSD performance on the HDD. Viable idea? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. :) 

More about : windows installation ssd intel srt

July 16, 2012 1:23:28 PM

Nevermind, asked on another forum, they said it's fine to do it. Thanks for nothing Tom's Hardware!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
July 16, 2012 1:31:15 PM

Sure its fine to do it, however you aren't going to have much space left over after some software is installed and such.

I'm using an OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD and have a couple games and all windows updates and stuff, and I have 10.2GB free out of the usable 55.7GB.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2012 1:36:20 PM

I plan on first installing Windows to the SSD, then installing frequent games (whuch probably takes a total of 20g max), and then dedicating whatever space is left to SRT.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
July 16, 2012 1:39:25 PM

That's my point - you'll probably end up with about the same amount of space I mention. 10GB isn't that much - as Intel suggests 20GB SLC drives they've purposely created for the task. As well, you won't have much benefit of it being on the SSD you're using for the OS.
m
l
July 16, 2012 1:45:55 PM

I did read that article. It was very informative. I suppose I can use my 40g Intel SSD for pure caching, and use the other SSD for Windows and games. By the way, can SRT use two SSD's for caching?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
July 16, 2012 1:51:23 PM

Don't know - I don't use it. The tiny lil possible advantage doesn't warrant me dedicating a piece of hardware for it.

My computer boots to the desktop in 28 seconds from dead (after typing in my password, of course)- and I can immediately open up IE and search and what have you, or start a game. SRT isn't necessary IMO

Here's my setup:

EVGA Z68 SLI with Intel Core i5-2500 (CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 fan)
8GB Mushkin DDR3 2000
EVGA GeForce GTX460 SC 1GB
PNY GeForce GTX460 SC 1GB
Corsair HX850 PS
OCZ 60GB SDD (boot)
(2) WD Black 750GB - RAID 0
WD Black 250GB (data)
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Raidmax Atlas ATX295 case
m
l
July 16, 2012 3:03:43 PM

Well I already have everything, there's only the matter of configuring what will be use for what. So since SRT cache size can be changed at any time, I'll just try different amounts on the Intel SSD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
July 16, 2012 3:15:39 PM

First you need to go back to what the purpose of SRT was developed for: Which was to provide a Near SSD experience using a SMALL SSD as a cache drive for a HDD that contained the operating system. This provided near SSD boot time and program load times. Additional files that may be in cache is more a hit/miss proposition based on frequency of the file being requested. In every review that I read when SRT first came out, the bottom line was if the SSD was large enough for OS + Program then that was the way to go.

With 2 SSDs, one for OS + Program, and a 2nd SSD. I find that it is best used as a Temp/working drive as opposed to using it as an SRT cache drive. It boils down to your IQ vs the IQ of the Caching algorithm. In my case I think I can best determine what files I want speed up, As this changes week to week. SRT caching can actually slow a HDD down (Very slightly) – Reason is that when a read is issued the cache will be checked first and if not in cache then it goes to the HDD.
Then there is the fact that the SSD used as a cache drive loses TRIM support, and must rely soley on CG – CG works better when trim is passed to the SSD.

Three of my systems all have daul SSDs, one for OS + Programs and one as a Temp/working SSD.

Added: PS a 60 gig SSD is to small to use as both a OS + Program drive and as a Cache drive. 60 gig SSD is really only 50 gigs usable to start with. Typical OS + Program is around 35 gigs, 10 gigs as a cache is useless. And you may lose trim for the entire SSD.
m
l
July 16, 2012 5:15:39 PM

Thing is Chief, I primarily use this desktop for gaming and browsing the internet. My laptop is for work. So the 40g and 60g SSD can be used for anything, after the OS and frequently used games are installed to either one. Then there's the 1T HDD, which I'm free to put anything on. So I thought that since the space my primary programs + OS will take will be under 50g, why not use the 40g SSD, for SRT? I already have it and its not being used for anything, and the fact that it would give any boost at all is a reason to use it. But I may reconsider, due to your point in how it may slow the HDD down.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
July 16, 2012 5:24:43 PM

You can still use it as a 2ndary drive, and put the files (excluding OS and program files that are on the Primary SSD) that you most often need on it. For example if you often use a larg spreadsheet, put that on the 2ndary SSD. If you have some "work files" that you will be working on over the space of a couple of weeks, put them on it and when done with them put back on HDD. This method thens to work better than letting the cahing algorithm determine what files to place on the SSD. The algorthithm can only go by what you have done, not what you need to do tommarrow.
m
l
!