AMD phenom 1055t or i5 750?

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I just got paid (but im no millionaire) and my rig needs an upgrade. im at a crossroads with AMD/ Intel (Phenom II X6 1055T vs. core i5 750)
i currently have an athlon X2 6400+ and really want something with bang.

NOTE: i know my way around the charts and performance numbers, so i want insight BEYOND that, into OCing, maintenance and longevity of the cpu.

if you have these cpus or have some thoughts, i would greatly appreciate your input on this!

Solution
+3

As for overclocking, I believe both can make it to 4GHz fairly well. So the i5 has the advantage in performance gain from overclocking since it had a lower clock to begin with.

My friend recently upgraded to a 1055t from an Athlon 64x2 and is fond of it. He's very happy that he can run 2 virtual managers with OSX and Fedora while also playing an emulated version of smash bros wii at max FPS with no drops.

Basically, if you can utilize all the cores, then the 1055t is your choice. If you need more power per core, the i5 is your choice.

If you are unsure, get the cheapest, they are both more than enough under most circumstances. To know for sure though, we need to know your circumstances.

On another note, your current motherboard...

Well, what are you going to be using these cpu's for?

If it's gaming, i would say Core i5 750.

If it's cad, rendering, video editing, ect, I would say Phenom II x6 1055t

If you're just checking email, minor web surfing, ect, i would say you wont need to upgrade at all as you're cpu is capable of running that kind of stuff very well.

Alfred_i

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
i5-750 and 1055t both are good proccesor.for multi-threaded 1055t is better and for gaming i5-750.but if you play in high resolution like 1920 with a good graphic card like 5850 or gtx470 the difference in gaming is not noticeable.1 or 2 fps.so i am agree with warmon6.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
If you are an e-mail checker and just want snappier performance, a Vertex II 60 (or 120)gb or Intel G2 80-160GB x25m (although, I'd wait for the G3s this holiday) SSD would be a smart choice.

I agree with the rest.

I don't think you will have longevity problems with any chip these days and I think Intel chips provide a slight edge in OCing, but I wouldn't let a sizeable gap in terms of performance be negated by some OC'ing. It's maybe 5-10%.

It's my personal opinion that you should avoid 1156 motherboards (and CPUs that plug into them) because it looks like they will be canceled soon so there is no cheap upgrade path in the future. AMD may end up moving to AM3+ or AM4 motherboards soon too, so your upgrade path might be limited there. I can't confirm or deny that because I saw it as an internet rumor from someone who claimed to have a job inside of AMD and seemed to have tons of other useful (and confirmable) information.

I've seen the 1055T clocked to 4.3 GHz, stable. I can't tell you how high the i5 750 will go.

+3

As for overclocking, I believe both can make it to 4GHz fairly well. So the i5 has the advantage in performance gain from overclocking since it had a lower clock to begin with.

My friend recently upgraded to a 1055t from an Athlon 64x2 and is fond of it. He's very happy that he can run 2 virtual managers with OSX and Fedora while also playing an emulated version of smash bros wii at max FPS with no drops.

Basically, if you can utilize all the cores, then the 1055t is your choice. If you need more power per core, the i5 is your choice.

If you are unsure, get the cheapest, they are both more than enough under most circumstances. To know for sure though, we need to know your circumstances.

On another note, your current motherboard may support the 1055t. My friend's did and it was an old AM2. If you give us your model number and motherboard brand, I'd go on the site and look for a CPU support list.

Solution

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i will need this rig for gaming mostly (a Pentium III can check email)
i really want a platform upgrade so im ditching the AM2 mobo to use as media server.

the rig will have an HD 5850 for sure, but for pure gaming and Crysis ecstasy is the i5 a better shot?

i5-750 and x6 1055t are close enough in performance as to not really matter much which you choose.
Check out the total cost for each system, and the feature set of the motherboards. It might be those factors which helps you make a decision.
Example; 890fx AM3 motherboard with CF @ x16/x16 and P55 1156 motherboard with CF @ x8/x8.

vfmjr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
It's been over a month that I'm reading and researching about my new rig. I still have an old AMD X2 4800.

I only play games and I went for an I5 760, I've got it for the same price as the i5 750, the 1055T was $15 more but the benchmarks show the i5 750 a bit better in most games and single thread apps.

The i5 is your choice here, put together a 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2E for the system and a Sam F3 1TB and you're good.

People saying to don't get a 1156 because of future proof is bullshit. If this is going to be sunset soon it doesn't matter, you need the new rig now. If you think about the future you'll never upgrade, technology is changing everyday, so the future proof theory doesn't exist.

We don't need a 6 core nor the i7s to play games. HT is very good indeed but you can expend the money you'll save on the 6 core or HT to get a better GPU.

Anyway, if you can get a 1055T at the same price as the i5 750 it will be up to your choice as both will do the work pretty much the same way, you won't notice the difference.

Here's what I'm getting:

i5 760
Asus P7P55D-E
2x 2 GB G.Skill ripjaws 1600mhz CL7
60 GB Vertex 2E - system and some games and apps
2x 1 TB Sammy F3 - Raid1
GTX 460 1 GB
Antec New TP 750W (a bit overkill but we never know when we'll go SLI or CF)
Megahalems Rev.B

I'd have to spend $100 more to get an i7 860, $150 to get an i7 920 and about $180 for the i7 930. My price differences are based on my researchs very single day in a few shops in the UK (Ebuyer, overclock.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk, scan.co.uk, etc)

I was really up to get the i7 but I've asked myself "Why do I need it?"

I don't render anything, I don't work with videos, etc, I only play games and navigate the internet, so it's pointless to spend too much money on a new rig.

I just have to say that that is well stated and I completely agree with this concept with regards to "futureproofing".
Probability of an old AM2 chipset supporting a Phenom IIx6? Very low even though there is socket compatibility. You'd probably be getting a new motherboard by the time of the upgrade for new features or better support of other things.

I'd have to spend $100 more to get an i7 860, $150 to get an i7 920 and about $180 for the i7 930. I don't render anything, I don't work with videos, etc, I only play games and navigate the internet, so it's pointless to spend too much money on a new rig.
And in the next few years, the worthwhileness of one of those CPUs over the other will be little to nothing compared to the new processors that are released. I recently came across a thread from 2001 mentioning prices of the Pentium 4 Northwood:
2.0GHz: $479
2.2GHz: $679

Difference by today's standards? Zip.
Value of one over the other? Zip.
Value of $200? About $200.