Allegedly, LGA 2011

I am interested in the replacement for the LGA1366. I want the benefits of Sandy Bridge CPU, and the PCI lanes of the 1366. Allegedly, that is the realm of the LGA 2011 motherboards. I have read that the CPU for LGA 2011 will be a version of Sandy Bridge. I have also read that it will be Ivy Bridge. I have also read that Ivy Bridge will be more of an economy CPU. Does anyone have any accurate details of LGA 2011 while we wait for the actual release?

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
LGA2011 is reportedly going to be the socket that the high end Sandy Bridge-E processors are going to use, so yes LGA2011 will support the Sandy Bridge-E chips that are set for a release late this year. Some people claim however that based on slides that LGA1365 will be the replacement rather than LGA2011, but it seems as if the plans for LGA1365 were scrapped and the slides that are cited as evidence are outdated.

Ivy Bridge is not the same thing as the high end Sandy Bridge-E, though. Ivy Bridge is basically a 22nm die shrink of the current Sandy Bridge chips, and will be reportedly be released early next year. Basically Ivy Bridge will fill the low, mid, and lower high end markets, the same markets that Sandy Bridge on LGA1155 currently fills, while Sandy Bridge-E will be Intel's highest end chips for enthusiasts.

Waimea Bay High End Desk Top (HEDT) platform all the way, baby! Sandy Bridge E processors paired with Patsburg PCH.

130W TDP.
Four or six cores.
Hyperthreading.
Up to 15MB of L3 cache.
Quad-channel memory controller, supporting up to 32GB.
Official support up to DDR3-1600. (may or may not happen)
40 PCIe Gen 3 (PCIe 3.0) lanes, enabling support of three-way SLI without extra bridge chips. (X58 platform has 36 PCIe Gen 2 lanes)
Overclocking-friendly Extreme Edition(s) available.
Four SATA2 3Gbps ports, two SATA3 6Gbps ports, eight SAS/SATA3 6Gbps ports.
Supports PCI without bridge chip. (unlike Cougar Point)
14 USB 2.0 ports. (no USB 3.0 yet)

Overall, a nice set of features for the next generation.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have to admit that it'll be a bit of a disappointment if eight core desktop (not server) processors aren't released for LGA2011 at some point. After all the current Sandy Bridge platform has four core CPUs, so whats the point of buying into a more expensive platform just to get a four core CPU, and six cores CPUs won't be enough of an advantage over a four core CPU for some people to justify going to the more expensive platform.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
"Basically Ivy Bridge will fill the low, mid, and lower high end markets, the same markets that Sandy Bridge on LGA1155 currently fills"...sound like another victim of Intel marketing

Hi,
That basically complies with the more credible postings. You only have to search “LGA 2011, ivy” to find examples of the opposing view.

Hi,
That is the only thing in this mess that is absolutely clear. :D