Sign in with
Your question

WD 3TB Caviar Green not registering

Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2012 7:58:27 AM

Hi, I just built my brand new computer, and my brand new hard drive is a WD 3TB Caviar Green. When I boot the computer it comes up with a message that says something like "Insert boot media" or some jargon like that. In other words it is not registering the HDD. I then inserted my old HDD from my last computer, and the computer booted without an issue to windows. Is my HDD faulty or is there something I am missing?
a c 812 G Storage
July 15, 2012 4:15:43 PM

You need to install windows (or another operating system). HDD's dont come with it pre-installed. Heck, the drive isn't even formatted yet but installing an OS will take care of that.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 15, 2012 6:33:27 PM

As above, you need to partition and then format the drive THEN you can install your operating system of choice. My recommendation is keep your old drive as your main drive (normally C) and add the 3TB drive as secondary storage. Or clone the drives and get rid of the old one. If you have access to a utility like Ghost or Acronis it is easy to clone your existing partitions over to a new drive and voila!
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2012 3:16:50 AM

Thanks for the reply, I am not thick and do know you must install windows, but I thought because I need to use a GUID partition that I had to partition before installing windows. If anyone has a good guide on how to partition in GUID please let me know. As a side note the reason I am not using my original hdd as the primary drive is it is SATA 1 and my new drive is SATA 3, I want the speed of the new drive to be my primary boot drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 16, 2012 3:33:53 AM

To use a drive larger than 2.2 TB as a boot drive you need GPT as you already know, and your motherboard must support UEFI to use GPT. If the board supports it, boot a 64 bit copy of WIndows (32 bit doesn't support GPT) with the disk booted in EFI mode (the boot menu should show 2 entries for the DVD-ROM with one of them marked UEFI). Then the partition utility in the Windows setup program will format the drive as GPT and install windows to it.
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
July 16, 2012 3:35:17 AM

Thejbloom said:
Thanks for the reply, I am not thick and do know you must install windows, but I thought because I need to use a GUID partition that I had to partition before installing windows. If anyone has a good guide on how to partition in GUID please let me know. As a side note the reason I am not using my original hdd as the primary drive is it is SATA 1 and my new drive is SATA 3, I want the speed of the new drive to be my primary boot drive.

Windows will do all of that as part of the installation process. In order to format a disk for GPT you must have a motherboard with an EFI firmware, have the disk and optical drive attached to an EFI capable storage controller (meaning the built-in Intel/AMD chipset controller and not an add-in ASMedia or JMicron controller), and be using a 64 bit OS that is Vista SP1 or newer.
m
l
!