Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

High temps on 930?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 30, 2010 9:58:22 PM

I bought a Core i7 930, and overclocked it to 3.6ghz. The temps I'm getting at idle are 52c,50c,48c,48c. At 100% load, I get 83c,82c,78c,77c. As the cooler I have a CoolerMaster v8, and I'm 100% sure it's seated properly, as I've done the process multiple times.

These temps seem high to me, after reading around and seeing that people idle at around 40c and load at 66c when at 3.6ghz. It's kind of a big difference, especially when under full load.

My room temperature is about 32c, so I'm wondering if that has that kind of impact on the temps?

Vcore is at 1.225, with a 21x multiplier and a 172 bclk. My case is a Thermaltake Element V, with no cables blocking airflow (cleaned it up and dropped 10c already).

More about : high temps 930

a b à CPUs
July 30, 2010 10:41:08 PM

What kind of thermal grease did you have to install the V8. (i guess this begs the question... DID YOU USE THERMAL GREASE)???

You're playing in a 90degree farenheit room!??!?! How are you even able to concentrate on your gaming in taht room? lol that's a HUGE contributing factor to why you're running so hot!

You better set your processor back to stock clocks in a 90degree room... or else buy a $100 window A/C at walmart.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2010 10:45:41 PM

I saw a test and equation before directly related to this. I dont recall which website it was on... but I recall exactly the results.

From a baseline benchmark in a 70degree farenheit room... they found every 1degree increase in farenhet of room temp cause the CPU temps to go up about .5 to .6 degrees Celcius

So essentially you're playing in a room 20 degrees farenheit warmer than base of 70degrees - so so you're CPU will run about 10 to 12 degree Celcius higher. Which is exactly what you're seeing
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2010 10:54:58 PM

that seems too high even for your cooler.. in 90 F room overclocked to 4.3 1.296v 21x205 plus overclocked uncore and qpi, i never hit more than 75C under prime and linx load... ( i am using Noctua D-14 ( I would reseat the heatsink and reapply thermal paste..
July 30, 2010 11:01:19 PM

Hard Line said:
that seems too high even for your cooler.. in 90 F room overclocked to 4.3 1.296v 21x205 plus overclocked uncore and qpi, i never hit more than 75C under prime and linx load... ( i am using Noctua D-14 ( I would reseat the heatsink and reapply thermal paste..


Yeah, well what I really don't want to do at this time is reseat the heatsink and thermal paste. It's a complete pain in the ass. I'll do it if I REALLY have to, but are my current temps ok for gaming and stuff? And in about 3 months my room temperature will go down to about 20c anyway (which I believe will drop my temps by about 10c), and as I've read my thermal paste will settle in and drop the temps by 3-5c too (don't know if that's true, though).

So is it ok if I just ignore the temps for now, as I never go over 65c while gaming anyway, or should I do something about it?
July 30, 2010 11:06:50 PM

lowriderflow said:
What kind of thermal grease did you have to install the V8. (i guess this begs the question... DID YOU USE THERMAL GREASE)???

You're playing in a 90degree farenheit room!??!?! How are you even able to concentrate on your gaming in taht room? lol that's a HUGE contributing factor to why you're running so hot!

You better set your processor back to stock clocks in a 90degree room... or else buy a $100 window A/C at walmart.


Yes, I used thermal grease :p  Arctic Silver 5, as always. I've put down many heatsinks before, but this is my first 1366 heatsink.

And 32c is starting to annoy me, and I mostly play WoW and stuff. It doesn't exactly require alot of brains or concentration. It's also a record hot summer here, and most of the rooms in my house are at around 33c. We don't have any powerful air conditioning, as it's only hot for about 3 months. For the rest of the year it's about -20c.

So you say that my temps are because of my room temperature? I know it has an impact, but I didn't think it had that much of an impact >.<
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2010 11:37:20 PM

Search around google for some room temperature tests.. Honestly, i'd clock your CPU back to stock clocks, just for longevity's sake. I can guarantee you that a stock clock i7 is more than capable to run WoW
July 30, 2010 11:50:20 PM

lowriderflow said:
Search around google for some room temperature tests.. Honestly, i'd clock your CPU back to stock clocks, just for longevity's sake. I can guarantee you that a stock clock i7 is more than capable to run WoW


Well, WoW isn't the only game I play. I also play rather heavy games, like GTA IV, Crysis, Just Cause 2, etc etc. I was getting horrible frames with stock clocks, so I overclocked.

As for room temperature tests, for what I've seen I'm still about 10c above what I should be. Longevity I don't exactly care about, I'll be getting a new one in about a year. From what I've read a 930 can run for ~2 years at 70c, which is pretty much what I get when playing some CPU heavier games. WoW is a joke for my system specs, so I max at 58c with 2 WoWs, iTunes, huge browser clutters and whatnot.

So am I good, or should I worry?
!