Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice Video Transcoding - Anticipate CS5

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2010 4:12:21 AM

All,

Need some help here: Trying to put together a system which will be used primarily for video trans-coding. I get that CS4 today has nominal requirements as it related to video cards - but from everything I read - it will only be a matter of time when "official support" is out for ATI Stream and GPU.

SO for now - can you please advise or comment - with respect to the proposed system in light of pending CS5 upgrades which are intended for to utilize GPU Acceleration (Catalyst 10.5 seems to do the job!) and prefer AMD/ATI systems.

MB/PSU/Case selection. - is the PSU OK - is there a better choice for mainstream cases - Think OFFICE - Not going to game/crossfire more than one of Video cards these cards today

Video Card - Is 2G really overkill - the number of Streams was impressive as well as overall STREAM/AVIVO/OPENCL/OPENGL/SHADER Model open standards and capabilities etc... would this need additional cooling not accounted for?

Memory - these are CL7 - will it matter - outside of that not planning too much overclocking here and sticking with 10600

Hard Drive - I TB is way too much - storage I would prefer 2 lower RPM with higher MB Cache for raid 0 and a SSD to write data to... Recommendations?

Overall - any glaring over/under-calculations which we could squeeeeezzzeeee money out of it without sacrificing long term upgrades or having it catch on fire when we power it up.....

Thanks in advance....

Silverstone FT01S Silver Mid-Tower Case - ATX, mATX(30 lbs)

AMD HDT90ZFBGRBOX Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Six Core Processor - 3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Socket AM3, Processor with Fan(1 lbs)

MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard - AMD 890FX, Socket AM3, ATX, DDR3, RAID, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0(4 lbs)

Ultra X4 850-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty, 80+ Silver, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications.(9.26 lbs)

Sapphire 100281-2GVXSR Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI(5 lbs)

8G Total Patriot Dual Channel Viper 4096MB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)(2.2 lbs)

Samsung SH-S223L/BEBS DVDRW Internal Drive - DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, SATA, LightScribe (OEM)(0.9 lbs)

Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 1TB, 3.5", SATA 3G, 64MB Cache, GreenPower(1.5 lbs)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD(0.5 lbs)
May 28, 2010 5:00:00 AM

I am trying to put together a similiar system for editing. I am new to building computers - not new to editing. As far as transcoding goes... MPEG streamclip is what we use. What exactly are you transcoding that requires its own computer? I am assuming that you are using a LOT of external hard drives for storage. Please let me know, as I might be able to help you from a CS5 perspective.
m
l
Related resources
!