I'm worried that my new gaming rig is running too hot...plz HELP!!!

dsgill_tigris

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hi,
I'm new here and I just got a new gaming computer about 4 months ago and I started reading forums about cooling, so now i am worried/paranoid that my computer is running too hot. Well here are my PC's specs:
Mainboard: Asus M3N72-D
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition at 2.5 Ghz
Memory: 4gb DDR2 Ram and Hard Drive: 500gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4850
I have a software called PC Wizard and this is what it reads:
Processor Temperature: 51 C
Mainboard Temperature: 38 C
Power/Aux Temperature: 115 C
Thermal Zone: 40 C
Core 1: 51 C
Core 2: 51 C
Core 3: 51 C
Core 4: 51 C
Temperature (diode): 44 C
Hard Drive Temperature: 37 C
In the GPU-Z software it says:
GPU Temperature: 44 C
Fan Speed: 37%
GPU Temperature (DISPIO): 43.5 C
GPU Temperature (MEMIO): 52 C
GPU Temperature (SHADERCORE): 46 C
Can you please help me know if my temperatures are doing great or are they getting dangerous, what are the safe temperatures for the CPU, Video Card, HDD, etc? Also I have a NZXT LCD Fan Controller, so any recommendations on where and what speeds should the fans be and the Temperatures sensors be? I am really worried that my CPU is too hot because i read that 50 C is not good. So please any help would be great... THANKS!

dsgill_tigris

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
@ Xaira : yes i thought the same but for some reason it says power/aux: 115 C, so how do i know for sure if it is true or some kind of error...also the temperature i wrote for the CPU of 51 C is at idle like about 10 minutes of doing basically nothing but viewing files.
@jonnyboyC: ummm i am not sure what kind of CPU cooler i have, is there any way to tell or to find out?

xaira

Distinguished
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZQgJDyzGI

the last part is the cooler, urs should be beefy like this

01-amdstock01-600.jpg

if it does, reseat the cooler with fresh thermal paste, clean the cooler base and cpu, then drop a pea sized dab of thermal interface material and let the cooler squish it while being installed

dsgill_tigris

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
mine cpu cooler is beefy and big but it does not totally look like that. The fan is not facing the side panel of the case but it faces the front of case. I will try to send a picture tomorrow (bed time lol) , but thanks...in the mean time any other advices, and also again are the other temperatures good?

dsgill_tigris

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
yea me too, but guess what now that happened and readings about the psu that were high were right. i went to turn on the pc and it wont turn on, and when i checked with a smaller another psu the pc turned on. so now i have to get another psu... any advices on what cheap and good psu to get. Also here are the pictures of the cpu cooler, and i posted another picture which shows the screws of the cooler. In this case i noticed that one of the screws were diffrent from all of the others and had a small paper type thing or something...could that be a probelm?. Thanks

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

plac ur hand on the psu. if u burn urself, u know that reading is right. :p

but not to worry, at that tenp, ur psu should turn itself off

dsgill_tigris

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
@sarwar_r87: too bad but i cant touch it anymore my older original psu does not work anymore. however i do remember once after on the computer after i shut my pc off, i checked and touched the psu and indeed it was very very hot, but it did not burn me haha.
@xaira: yea i think too, but i dont know where i can get that kind, and also you mentioned a spring, do all the screws also have a spring. To see if i have that kind i have to take off the cooler right? Also before doing that can you please give me some safety tips so i dont hurt my pc, and i really worried.Thanks
@Tamz_msc: from where do i find the ambient temperature? Neverthless, before doing any of that, i cant turn on my pc becuase like i said my psu fried and i have to get a new one.
Thanks all.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

very very hot cant be 115*C. 115C is more than boiling temp of h2o. you would literally burn urself if u diped you hand in 115*C (if it exited) :p, but you can try 115*c oil :p

but srsly, i think its either a faulty reader, or the sensor does not even exit.
if your still uneasy, you can try to take our your mobo from the casing, reseat the CPU heat sink. If possible take out the chipset heatsins (with asus tag) and clean under neath and reseat it with thermal paste. get a compress air can and clean all the edges. same goes for the PSU. take it apart and clean it

also try this app to detect you temps and other voltage readings (under monitor) post a screenshot if possible :)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/HWiNFO32-version-3.56-download-1078.html

dsgill_tigris

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
yea also if i am going to remove the cpu cooler and clean it, could you guys please tell me what brand or type of thermal paste should i get. I been trying to research this but so many people tell diffent things. Some say ocz freeze, arctic silver 5, arctic cooler mx-2, tx-2, etc ...i am stuck, do you guys recommend a particular one?

dsgill_tigris

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
hey guys never mind...i think the temperature probelm is fixed. First of all i got arctic cooling mx-2 and reapplied the paste and cleaned cooler, and secondly i got a new power supply, the corsair tx 650 watt.
Well here are the new readings in pc wizard: and can you guys tell me if they are good, ok, or no improvement. thanks:
Processor temperature: 45 or 46 C
Mainboard temperature: 35 C
Thermal zone temperature: 40 C
Temperature diode: 43 C
HDD temperature: 34 C
and in gpu-z it says:
Gpu temperature: 41 or 42 C
GPU Temperature (DISPIO): 41.5 C
GPU Temperature (MEMIO): 49.5 C
GPU Temperature (SHADERCORE): 44 C
Thanks ... also one more thing is there any thing else that i can do to decrease the temperature a bit more...please,
thanks alot guys u r the best!

TRENDING THREADS