smc ircc and remote control

Hi

my latitude d800 has a smc ircc controller onboard.

my question is rather simple but can't find a reasonable answer while
google'ing.

can I use this controller to control my vcr/television other IR-control
enabled deviced?

other questions, Can I switch to irda mode with this controller?

a remote for a television, does that use ircc or irda? or something else?

thx
Arne
1 answer Last reply
More about ircc remote control

    "arne" <news@sloeber.office.xs4all.be> wrote in message news:<416991af$0$88472$e4fe514c@dreader15.news.xs4all.nl>...
    > Hi
    >
    > my latitude d800 has a smc ircc controller onboard.
    >
    > my question is rather simple but can't find a reasonable answer while
    > google'ing.
    >
    > can I use this controller to control my vcr/television other IR-control
    > enabled deviced?
    >
    > other questions, Can I switch to irda mode with this controller?
    >
    > a remote for a television, does that use ircc or irda? or something else?

    TV's use "Consumer IR" while IrDA mode is for data. Consumer IR is
    uni-directional, and is higher power, so it works further away.

    The SMC IR controller is capable of both IrDA and Consumer IR.
    Unfortunately, the transceiver on notebooks are strictly for IrDA (115
    kbps, 1Mbps, and 4 Mbps). There is no way that you could change the
    transceiver. When I worked for a manufacturer of IR chips, we did
    build some all-in-one IR dongles with both IrDA and consumer IR, but
    these were not the same as what is installed in the notebook.

    So the short answer is no, you can't control consumer appliances with
    the IrDA remote (though even this isn't totally true, as many PDAs are
    able to simulate consumer IR with an IrDA tranceiver, but the distance
    it works at is only a couple of feet, if that far).

    There is a Handspring IR module that slid into the Springboard slot of
    a Visor, and there is a Pocket PC IR adapter that plugs into the
    headphone jack. But neither of these work with a regular laptop
    (though the headphone jack one would work with the appropriate
    software, which doesn't exist).

    "http://www.griffintechnology.com/griffinmobile/totalremote/"
    "http://www.pacificneotek.com/omnisb.htm"

    It's too bad that no one has come up with a TV remote device for a
    notebook or tablet PC. The USB IR adapters are all strictly IrDA.

    The Griffin Technology "Total Remote" would certainly work with the
    headphone jack of a notebook or Tablet PC, but you'd have no software
    for it, since it's strictly a Pocket PC application.

TV Controller SMC Laptops