Sign in with
Your question

No post on GA-770TA-UD3

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2010 6:34:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with a new system I'm putting together. These are the relevant parts:

Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3
AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz Socket AM3
Core Contact Freezer 120mm
OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK
MSI R5750-MD1G Radeon HD 5750
OCZ 600W Modular PSU

I'm not listing anything else cuz I've breadboarded this sucker with no change.

With everything listed above hooked up (outside the case) I get no beeps whatsoever. If a monitor is attached, it doesn't leave powersave.

If I remove ALL the RAM, there is a continuous beep that does not stop. If both sticks are in, there are no beeps. If I remove 1 stick, there are no beeps. I've tried every slot with both sticks.

If I remove the video card, I get a long and two short beeps (the code for a video card problem).

If I remove everything, I get a continuous beep that does not stop.

I tried to reseat the cpu, but I was unable to remove the heatsink. Possibly with another set of hands...

I'd like to know which part to send back. I don't have any other components to test with.

More about : post 770ta ud3

May 29, 2010 4:31:03 PM

Its not posting. So no video.
Everything is connected properly. I read through (and carried out) the whole post about what to do if your computer isn't posting, but unfortunately it didn't help.

My current thinking is one of two things. This site lists my mb cpu compatibility: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

It lists my cpu twice, once with c2 stepping and once with c3 stepping. i don't know what this means nor how to check it. it makes a difference though with bios version. with c2 stepping, the cpu works with the f1 bios; c3 stepping needs f3.

2nd thought is that some part needs to be broken. most likely candidates are one of the parts i ordered. as far as i can tell, it could equally be the cpu, ram, gpu or mb. i'm leaning most towards the mb.

its just frustrating if it's number 1 as i bought the two together as a combo on newegg. seriously? at least sell parts together that are compatible...
m
l
May 29, 2010 5:18:17 PM

Ok, figured out what c2/c3 means. Also figured out how to check it. If I have a c3 cpu, I think that's the source of my problem. Will check later today when I'm at home.
m
l
!