Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SSD or HDD, Help Decide!

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 15, 2012 2:39:56 PM

Hi all,

Recently just made a new build with a Crucial 512GB. The build is only 1 month old but I have already used 400GB and games that I actually play (PC is my primary system). Now I have been researching this for while now but still undecided so I just wanted to ask some peoples opinions...

Should I purchase another Crucial 512gb (Can get one for around half the normal price due to a friend) or should I just go with a 2TB 7200 HDD for all my game storage and just keep Windows, Steam, Origin etc on the SSD? I really am undecided.

Please add your input (:

More about : ssd hdd decide

a c 909 G Storage
July 15, 2012 3:34:30 PM

Wow if you can get another 512 for 1/2 price... well I'd be all over that. <drools> raid0 them and watch it fly.
July 15, 2012 3:43:49 PM

popatim said:
Wow if you can get another 512 for 1/2 price... well I'd be all over that. <drools> raid0 them and watch it fly.



I honestly would but I just filled a 512 in about 3 weeks and with my Christmas game window looking full I think I would have both filled by the end of 2012 |:
Related resources
July 15, 2012 4:26:08 PM

TNTNTN said:
Hi all,

Recently just made a new build with a Crucial 512GB. The build is only 1 month old but I have already used 400GB and games that I actually play (PC is my primary system). Now I have been researching this for while now but still undecided so I just wanted to ask some peoples opinions...

Should I purchase another Crucial 512gb (Can get one for around half the normal price due to a friend) or should I just go with a 2TB 7200 HDD for all my game storage and just keep Windows, Steam, Origin etc on the SSD? I really am undecided.

Please add your input (:


Get the 2TB HDD (but if you can also get the SSD for half the price, get that too). I hope you have a back up solution for your OS, software and data.
a c 122 G Storage
July 15, 2012 4:36:02 PM

There is a way to get the best of both worlds:

1. Install all your games to the SSD but make sure to install them in their own folders, say:

C:\Games\[Insert Game Name Here]

2. Install a 2 or 3 TB Barracuda XT. Create a folder called:

D:\GameSwap

Now, if you are like most people you go thru fits and spurts bouncing back and forth among different games. Lets say ya have:

C:\Games\[Insert Game Name No 1 Here]

thru

C:\Games\[Insert Game Name No 10Here]

....... and ya decide ya won't be playing Game No 7 for a while


Simply "cut" the folder from C:\Games\[Insert Game Name No 7 Here] and paste it in the D:\GameSwap folder to create room for a new game. Rinse and repeat as necessary to create the room you want.

When ya want to play the old game again, simply reverse the process.

However, I will warn ya of the following. Upstairs my son has a 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS and a 2 TB Barracuda XT....both are top performers in their class. He can select which drive to boot off from the BIOS and these are the times it takes to load Windows:

Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 15.6 seconds
Barracuda XT 2 TB - 21.2 seconds.

While the HD boot takes 33% longer it's hardly noticeable as once he sits down and presses the ON button on the PC, by the time he puts on his headphones and gets comfy, Windows is on screen regardless.

Loading our favorite MMO

Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 45 seconds
Barracuda XT 2 TB - 45 seconds

Given the above , when weighed against your own experiences, you might not find the cut 'n paste thing worth your T&E (time and effort)
July 15, 2012 4:47:39 PM

ndositwe said:
Get the 2TB HDD (but if you can also get the SSD for half the price, get that too). I hope you have a back up solution for your OS, software and data.


What exactly do you mean back up solution?
!